none
Developing API with WCF RRS feed

• Question

• Hi , 

i am looking for the suggestion on how to start with WCF , as i want to build an API which can be used by any device to build the application in multi platform.

Please suggest how to start the multi platform approach what are the pros and cons need to think , is the development cost is too high in multi platform or multi device. 

Is WCF is good choice to start with , can i get small sample of how to develop own API for multi platform or multi device application.

regards

Dev

Monday, October 6, 2014 6:13 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If ur targeting the handheld devices like Ipad, smartphones etc I suggest to use RESTApi as it is easy for implementation and can be hosted within ur web application.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 6:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Is the WCF is the good choice to start with? I would say you should list down all your requirements and alternatives.

Requirements,

1. Ease of implementation at server and client. Deployment options. Error handling. Session management etc...

2. Life cycle handling.

3. What are the various multi platforms you want to support.

Alternatives,

SOAP services/ RESTFul services using WCF, RESTful services using ASP.NET MVC Web API.

To understand better I suggest this link 

/Srinivas

Monday, October 6, 2014 8:09 AM
  • Hi Srinivas,

Thanks for replying , the information is quite exhaustive and good must appreciate but you know my query was very specific and was looking to have some help to get the right direction and some example which can be used as POC to go forward with the selection of this technology.

My Desires :

Want to create separate view application to consume the services created in WCF , so that like for example for Linux I want to use C or C++ as desktop application or say for web in Linux server as J2EE or Struts.

For mobile I want to create the application for Blackberry , Android, Windows and IPhone ...can we achieve this via WCF that emails each one of this technology should use the same service and get the data based on request URI and generate view.

Is this totally different though or its been used in the Industry as common practice, can we find some good example as code makes little life easy rather than struggling ...

Hope some expert can help to find the correct way.....please help.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 2:59 AM
  • Hi,

If ur targeting the handheld devices like Ipad, smartphones etc I suggest to use RESTApi as it is easy for implementation and can be hosted within ur web application.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 6:39 AM