Database, socket programming in VB.NET in Blend 3(.NET 3.5) RRS feed

• Question

• I dont know whether its appropriate to ask this question or not. I was studying WPF and simultaniously  I was working on my project too. And I was thinking that I will find out solution to my every problem in time and by myself. My plan of using database was to just do it by code. Now I want to know your opinion am I going right? I am feeling like being lost :(

Should I do study LINQ and XML? Or can I do it directly as I was planning to do it by code?

And about socket programming, its a LAN project with a server and multiple clients. I havent found any proper solution to both these problem. So please suggest me what should be my next step.

Sahil

Monday, April 30, 2012 5:03 AM

Answers

• hello sahil,

if you need to work with data, and if you would like to stay as much independent as possible I would always suggest in a first approach to use xml as the format of your choice in order to store the data. Using xml enables you to stay independent from any changes of propriatrary data base techniques in future. you store your data in xml, which is in fact, simple text format if you brake it down. and in ten years, when you need to work with your data again after a long time you forgot about them, you have your own pure xml and you are lucky.

and if you choose xml to store your data you should definetly use LINQ to manage, filter, save etc. your data. LINQ toXml e.g. is so powerful and you can write LINQ like spoken language. quite intuitive.

whatever you choose, learn LINQ. because you can work with LINQ on objects, on xml, on sql data and even when you use reactive extensions you should need to know LINQ.

• Marked as answer by Sahil_89 Monday, May 7, 2012 6:11 PM
    Friday, May 4, 2012 6:39 PM

All replies

• Hello Sahil.

You would probably do best presenting this question on the WPF forums.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wpf/threads

As this forum mostly deals with Blend and Design.

I suspect the answers you will receive will mostly be to learn MVVM, stay away from XML and go with a database.  But I could be wrong, I usually am.

Ultimately you'll have to decide what you feel most comfortable learning/working with and what works best for your particular situation.

~Christine

My Gallery

Monday, April 30, 2012 4:38 PM
  • Hi Christine,

I knew it that I will get this suggestion :) but last time I got good response from you, Chuck, Martin,KS So I decided to discuss with you :)

formerly known as ROC.KY89 i changed my display name.

Thanks for the reply Christine.

@Martin : Martin I hope you will read thread soon. I need some more guidance from you.

Best regards,

Sahil

• Edited by Sahil_89 Monday, April 30, 2012 6:10 PM
    Monday, April 30, 2012 4:51 PM
  • hello sahil,

if you need to work with data, and if you would like to stay as much independent as possible I would always suggest in a first approach to use xml as the format of your choice in order to store the data. Using xml enables you to stay independent from any changes of propriatrary data base techniques in future. you store your data in xml, which is in fact, simple text format if you brake it down. and in ten years, when you need to work with your data again after a long time you forgot about them, you have your own pure xml and you are lucky.

and if you choose xml to store your data you should definetly use LINQ to manage, filter, save etc. your data. LINQ toXml e.g. is so powerful and you can write LINQ like spoken language. quite intuitive.

whatever you choose, learn LINQ. because you can work with LINQ on objects, on xml, on sql data and even when you use reactive extensions you should need to know LINQ.

• Marked as answer by Sahil_89 Monday, May 7, 2012 6:11 PM
    Friday, May 4, 2012 6:39 PM
  • Hi Martin,

I finished the project as there was not much about database I used OleDB. Now I need to study XML, LINQ for further studies. Thanks for the reply.

Sahil

Monday, May 7, 2012 6:22 PM