sql server agent RRS feed

• Question

• what is sql server agent?  and

how to configure sql server agent?.......

Thanks in advance............

Thursday, June 4, 2015 4:15 AM

Answers

• SQL Server Agent is a service you can automate/schedule processes and /or tasks.. 

You have to give a domain account  to be run under SQL Server Agent and grant an appropriate permissions to that account 

BTW, SQL Server EXRESS (free) Edition does not have SQL Server Agent service.

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Consulting: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance
    SQL Server Integration Services: Business Intelligence

Thursday, June 4, 2015 4:44 AM
    Answerer
  • Hello - SQL Server Agent is a scheduling sub-system within SQL Server that is used to automate task execution through a concept known as SQL Server Agent Jobs & everything related to Jobs (Their definition, steps & execution history etc. ) are stored in MSDB system database.

When you open SQL Server Management Studio you would see, SQL Server Agent Node in the object explorer, such as below and from here you can create jobs, view current job activity and view history of jobs:

Note: SQL Server Agent is not available in SQL Server Express edition

Good Luck!
    Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue.
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue

Thursday, June 4, 2015 5:04 AM

You dont need any special configuration for sql agent. Just install SQL Server Agent services and SQL Agent gets included. Then just map the user accounts relevant roles in msdb database (SQLAgentOperatorRole,SQLAgentUserRole etc) and they will be able to do required tasks in SQL agent

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue
    Visakh
    ----------------------------
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

Thursday, June 4, 2015 5:07 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• SQL Server Agent is a service you can automate/schedule processes and /or tasks.. 

You have to give a domain account  to be run under SQL Server Agent and grant an appropriate permissions to that account 

BTW, SQL Server EXRESS (free) Edition does not have SQL Server Agent service.

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Consulting: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance
    SQL Server Integration Services: Business Intelligence

Thursday, June 4, 2015 4:44 AM
    Answerer
  • Hello - SQL Server Agent is a scheduling sub-system within SQL Server that is used to automate task execution through a concept known as SQL Server Agent Jobs & everything related to Jobs (Their definition, steps & execution history etc. ) are stored in MSDB system database.

When you open SQL Server Management Studio you would see, SQL Server Agent Node in the object explorer, such as below and from here you can create jobs, view current job activity and view history of jobs:

Note: SQL Server Agent is not available in SQL Server Express edition

Good Luck!
    Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue.

Thursday, June 4, 2015 5:04 AM

You dont need any special configuration for sql agent. Just install SQL Server Agent services and SQL Agent gets included. Then just map the user accounts relevant roles in msdb database (SQLAgentOperatorRole,SQLAgentUserRole etc) and they will be able to do required tasks in SQL agent

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue
    Visakh
    ----------------------------
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

Thursday, June 4, 2015 5:07 AM
    Answerer
  • what is sql server agent?

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ms189237.aspx

How to configure sql server agent

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ms178142.aspx

Best Regards, If you have found this post helpful, please click the Vote as Helpful link. If this post answers your question, click the Mark As Answered link below. It helps others who experience the same issue in future to find the solution.

Thursday, June 4, 2015 5:08 AM