none
Outlook addins are not displayed RRS feed

• Question

• When using debugging or published versions of Outlook Addins, they do not show up in the outlook application.
    • I've attempted with two new addin projects (Ribbon + simple button) to see if it might have been configuration issues, but those do not work either.
    • I've attempting both Excel and Word (existing and new addins) and those do work.
    • I've tried everything in the Stackoverflow thread with various solutions (can't post links)
    • When viewing the addins in outlook they're installed, enabled and active. 
    • No errors are thrown (neither with VTSO_SUPRESSDISPLAYERRORS 0) and no logs are generated with VTSO_LOGALERTS 1. 
    • The registry keys are correct (can't post images)

How come the addons are not shown in Outlook?

Event log entry:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Outlook loaded the following add-in(s):

Name: Microsoft Exchange Add-in
    Description: Exchange support for Unified Messaging, e-mail permission rules, and calendar availability.
    ProgID: UmOutlookAddin.FormRegionAddin
    GUID: {F959DBBB-3867-41F2-8E5F-3B8BEFAA81B3}
    Load Behavior: 3
    HKLM: 1
    Location: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\Root\Office15\ADDINS\UmOutlookAddin.dll
    Boot Time (Milliseconds): 0

Name: Skype Meeting Add-in for Microsoft Office 2013
    Description: Skype Meeting Add-in for Microsoft Office 2013
    ProgID: UCAddin.LyncAddin.1
    GUID: {A6A2383F-AD50-4D52-8110-3508275E77F7}
    Location: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\Root\Office15\UCAddin.dll
    Boot Time (Milliseconds): 16

Name: Outlook Social Connector 2013
    Description: Connects to social networking sites and provides people, activity, and status information.
    ProgID: OscAddin.Connect
    GUID: {2163EB1F-3FD9-4212-A41F-81D1F933597F}
    Location: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\Root\Office15\SOCIALCONNECTOR.DLL

Name: OneNote Notes about Outlook Items
    Description: Adds Send to OneNote and Notes about this Item buttons to the command bar
    ProgID: OneNote.OutlookAddin
    GUID: {93E5752E-B889-47C5-8545-654EE2533C64}
    Location: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\Root\Office15\ONBttnOL.dll
    Boot Time (Milliseconds): 265

Name: Invoegtoepassing McAfee-e-mailscan
    Description: Outlook-invoegtoepassing voor McAfee-e-mailscan
    ProgID: mfeotlkaddin.scan
    GUID: {6D51AC3F-7048-4C0F-9831-18E4F701EF86}
    Boot Time (Milliseconds): 32

Name: liEWFDRFAGDRFAH
    Description: liEWFDRFAGDRFAH
    ProgID: liEWFDRFAGDRFAH
    GUID: {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
    HKLM: 0
    Location: file:///G:/TFS/**** Office Addons/Main/UploadandOffice/liEWFDRFAGDRFAH/bin/Debug/liEWFDRFAGDRFAH.vsto|vstolocal
    Boot Time (Milliseconds): 375

Name: ****.Office.Outlook
    Description: ****.Office.Outlook
    ProgID: ****.Office.Outlook
    GUID: {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
    Location: file:///G:/TFS/****Office Addons/****.Office.Outlook/Published/****.Office.Outlook.vsto
    Boot Time (Milliseconds): 437

Name: Microsoft SharePoint Server Colleague Import Add-in
    Description: The Add-in allows Microsoft SharePoint Server to import colleague suggestions based on your Outlook content
    ProgID: ColleagueImport.ColleagueImportAddin
    GUID: {EFEF7FDB-0CED-4FB6-B3BB-3C50D39F4120}
    Location: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\Root\Office15\ADDINS\ColleagueImport.dll

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 1:13 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Did you add the required windows registry keys for the add-in? See Registry Entries for VSTO Add-ins for more information. How did you deploy the add-in on the PC?

Also if an VSTO Add-in attempts to manipulate the Microsoft Office user interface (UI) and fails, no error message is displayed. However, you can configure Microsoft Office applications to display messages for errors that relate to the UI. You can use these messages to help determine why a custom Ribbon does not appear, or why a Ribbon appears but no controls appear. Read more about that in the How to: Show Add-in User Interface Errors article.

Microsoft Office applications can disable VSTO Add-ins that behave unexpectedly. If an application does not load your VSTO Add-in, the application might have hard disabled or soft disabled your VSTO Add-in.

Hard disabling can occur when an VSTO Add-in causes the application to close unexpectedly. It might also occur on your development computer if you stop the debugger while the Startup event handler in your VSTO Add-in is executing.

Soft disabling can occur when a VSTO Add-in produces an error that does not cause the application to unexpectedly close. For example, an application might soft disable a VSTO Add-in if it throws an unhandled exception while the Startup event handler is executing.

When you re-enable a soft-disabled VSTO Add-in, the application immediately attempts to load the VSTO Add-in. If the problem that initially caused the application to soft disable the VSTO Add-in has not been fixed, the application will soft disable the VSTO Add-in again. See How to: Re-enable a VSTO Add-in That Has Been Disabled .

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 1:33 PM
  • The registry keys exist and were created automatically, I deployed the addin using a clickonce publish package and I tried using the Visual Studio debugger.

After enabling the user interface errors I started to get notifications about addin issues.

It currently gives me the following message: "This add-in caused outlook to start slowly. It wasn't disable because it's in the always enable list.". After it occurred the first time, I forced it to enable and it's not in the disabled addins list.

Which is odd, since the addin I'm using is an empty project with no logic. Just the Ribbon with one non-functional button.

Side note: The addin is no longer added to Outlook using the VS debugger, I can only install the publish package now.

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 2:19 PM
  • Hi dienmam,

>>•I've attempted with two new addin projects (Ribbon + simple button) to see if it might have been configuration issues, but those do not work either

How did you create new add-ins, and how did you check add-ins are not displayed? What is your outlook version, VS version and system? To narrow down this issue, I suggest you do as below:

1. Create a new outlook add-ins with Ribbon(Visual Designer)
    2. Debug this project to check whether this add-ins displayed
    3. Check the lists in Developer->Add ins->Com Add-ins and Disabled Items

If the add-ins are not shown in the add ins, I suggest you copy your project to other pcs to check whether it will show up. If it only did not show up in the specific pc, I assume your outlook might be broken, and I suggest you repair your outlook.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 3:28 AM
  • I created the addins using Visual studio 2015 and tested it using both Visual Studio 2013 and 2015, with Outlook 2013 from the Office 365 ProPlus package.

The addins do show up in Com Add-ins, and nothing seems wrong with them. One of the addins gives a warning though; "This add-in caused outlook to start slowly.". After I forced it to always be enabled it gave me this message: "This add-in caused outlook to start slowly. It wasn't disable because it's in the always enable list.". That should have worked, but I still cannot see the options displayed in the ribbon. The tab that should contain the options is configured to be active (TabAddIns), and I've also tried TabHome.

Doing the same for Excel and Word DOES work. 

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 12:12 PM
  • Do you get any UI errors?

See the How to: Show Add-in User Interface Errors article for more information.

Extending the add-in resiliency of Outlook 2010, Outlook 2013 monitors add-in performance counters such as add-in startup, shutdown, folder switch, item open, and iteration timing. For example, if the median startup time exceeds a specified amount, then Outlook will disable the add-in and display a notification to the user that an add-in has been disabled. The user has the option of always enabling the add-in, so that Outlook will not disable the add-in even if the add-in exceeds the performance threshold. System administrators also have a new, enhanced level of control over which add-ins are disabled by using group policy. 

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 2:17 PM
  • I did enable the UI errors, and it did give me a timeout error, and I did choose to always load the addin, but that did not change anything about the situation. 

I've also attempted to install the addin on the machines of two colleagues, but it didn't work their either.

I've included a testproject with an Outlook and Word addin. Both are the same; a ribbon addin with a button in the TabAddIns and TabHome tabs. Word does work; Outlook doesn't.

I've published a release of both addins, since it could also be my Visual Studio.

http://www.filedropper.com/testoffice

Could any of you verify whether the addins also have that same behaviour?

• Edited by dienmam Thursday, November 19, 2015 7:37 AM
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 7:25 AM
  • Actually, nevermind. It seems that creating webbased Office Addins is the better way to go anyways. And it also works for Outlook.
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 1:50 PM
  • Hi dienmam,

>> I've included a testproject with an Outlook and Word addin. Both are the same; a ribbon addin with a button in the TabAddIns and TabHome tabs.

What do you mean with “Outlook and Word addin. Both are the same”? How did you create outlook addin? Did you mean you create outlook add with xml ribbon, and the same xml ribbon worked in word, but failed in outlook? If so, I assume it might be related with your ribbon xml.

I suggest you create an outlook add-in with Ribbon (Visual Designer), to check whether it could work correctly.
    >> http://www.filedropper.com/testoffice

I tried to download this file, but I failed. I suggest you upload it through OneDrive and share us. Or, you could share us steps and code you created outlook add-ins.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, November 20, 2015 5:42 AM