Advise on how my app should be organised

Question

• Dear all,

I have actuall an application build under Windows 7 C#, WPF, XAML and which is dedicated to run on any multitouch screen.

I get a request to mimgrate that application under Windows 8 :

- First as a Desktop application

- Second as a Mobile and Slate

My application is using the WPF bing maps control which has actuall bug issue under Windows 8. My all application is realying on Bing mapb control and Bing map api to display properties location
    Property information are actually stored on a local SQL server express database and are sync from a data provider web services. Database data are acessed by client from WCF endpoint hosted in a Windows Service

My goal is of course to try to handle a single project covering either Desktop, Mobile or Slate devices and keep as much as possible existing code

1 Is this possible to get a single project to target all ?

2 How can I use the new Bing Map control embeded in Windows 8 under a Desktop application ?

3 Where should my local database can be store, azure I guess ?

4 What should I do with my WCF service endpoint and where to host them ?

Thanks for your help

Your knowledge is enhanced by that of others.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 6:53 AM

Answers

• Hi Serge,

Please post one question per thread and one thread per question. I see that you've posted the same thing in several forums, and it's not clear what you are trying to do here.

Are you trying to write a desktop app or a Windows Store app? What do you mean by a "Desktop application" vs. a "Mobile and Slate"? Are you talking form factors here or desktop vs. Windows Store app?

Your Windows 7 desktop application should run essentially the same as a desktop application on Windows 8 systems. Again: form factor won't matter. For information about the Bing maps issue you mention you should ask in the Bing maps forums.

If you want to write a Windows Store app then you can use the Bing maps for Windows Store apps control. There is a specific forum to discuss this control in the Bing maps forum.

The general recommendation for local databases in a Windows Store app is SQLite. Azure databases are in the cloud, not on the local system.

--Rob

Friday, July 26, 2013 2:17 AM
    Owner