Do I need to re-register DLL if I update a dll program? RRS feed

• Question

• I have written a dll program in VFP and put it with an EXE in setup file. After run setup file, of course, the dll has been registered automatically. But later if I update the dll file, can I just simply copy the dll file without register it again? TIA.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 9:50 PM

Answers

• What Simple Samples shows is not all you find about a COM class in the registry, no matter what language the COM class is written in. In general the typelib info is registered.

You need to reregister mainly, if you 

• add new methods
    • change parameterizations (method signatures)

In general you can't do wrong in reregistering a new dll version and you only limit yourself and the extensibility if you avoid reregistering just because this needs elevation.

Bye, Olaf.

Olaf Doschke - TMN Systemberatung GmbH

http://www.tmn-systemberatung.de

• Edited by Olaf Doschke Wednesday, April 1, 2015 8:18 AM
    • Proposed as answer by mplaza Thursday, April 2, 2015 10:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by Youjun Tang Wednesday, April 8, 2015 8:45 AM
    Wednesday, April 1, 2015 8:17 AM

All replies

• Yes, you probably can just copy it. Try it and see what happens.

I know that registering is essentially a matter of calling a specified method in the DLL and the DLL updates the registry and does whatever else it needs to do. I do not know about FoxPro but my Sample of the Registry Entries for a Simple COM Object gives an idea of what DLL registration might do.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 3:41 AM
  • What Simple Samples shows is not all you find about a COM class in the registry, no matter what language the COM class is written in. In general the typelib info is registered.

You need to reregister mainly, if you 

• add new methods
    • change parameterizations (method signatures)

In general you can't do wrong in reregistering a new dll version and you only limit yourself and the extensibility if you avoid reregistering just because this needs elevation.

Bye, Olaf.

Olaf Doschke - TMN Systemberatung GmbH

http://www.tmn-systemberatung.de

• Edited by Olaf Doschke Wednesday, April 1, 2015 8:18 AM
    • Proposed as answer by mplaza Thursday, April 2, 2015 10:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by Youjun Tang Wednesday, April 8, 2015 8:45 AM
    Wednesday, April 1, 2015 8:17 AM
  • Yes, Olaf, it is not everything. That is why I said "an idea of what DLL registration might do".

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Thursday, April 2, 2015 9:09 PM