how to use old ios simulator version in xamarin studio after I install xcode 7 RRS feed

• Question

• User86335 posted

I update my xcode to xcode 7, but I can not udpate my xamarin studio to use it. Because I have not renew my subscription now. I have download the ios 8.4 from xcode, but I still cannot select ios 8.4 in xamarin studio. How to use the ios 8.4 simulator? Anybody can help me. Thanks in advance.

Monday, September 21, 2015 7:18 AM

Answers

• User181 posted

That said, switching which is the active Xcode in Xamarin Studio (which requires a restart of Xamarin Studio) just to try a different simulator is a pain. If you do this often it's better to copy the SDKs from the old Xcode to the new one, and then you can use any one of them.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, September 21, 2015 4:12 PM

All replies

• User181 posted

You may be able to download some old simulators from within Xcode (go to Xcode's Preferences and look at the Downloads tab). If the simulator you care about isn't listed then the only way to get it is to manually copy the SDK from an older version of Xcode into your current version, which is a tedious process that will be reverted with every Xcode update.

Monday, September 21, 2015 3:43 PM
  • User11799 posted

You have to download the old version of Xcode from here: https://developer.apple.com/downloads/ and rename Xcode.app to something like Xcode 7.0.app

Monday, September 21, 2015 4:02 PM
  • User181 posted

There's no need to rename your installed Xcode. I would instead rename the old Xcode, install it next to the current one, and then you can choose which Xcode to use in the Xamarin Studio preferences (look for the SDK section).

Monday, September 21, 2015 4:11 PM
  • User181 posted

That said, switching which is the active Xcode in Xamarin Studio (which requires a restart of Xamarin Studio) just to try a different simulator is a pain. If you do this often it's better to copy the SDKs from the old Xcode to the new one, and then you can use any one of them.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, September 21, 2015 4:12 PM
  • User86335 posted

@WilliamGrand @adamkemp thanks, resolved.

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 2:12 AM
  • User55225 posted

@adamkemp! Thanks for this...just saved me a bunch of time :smiley:

Monday, October 17, 2016 2:20 PM
  • User370567 posted

Open Xcode on your Mac. Then navigate to Window -> Device and Simulators. At the bottom left corner press the "+" icon to add a new simulator from your selected ios version

Tuesday, October 16, 2018 6:21 AM