Problems publishing a Lightswitch project in VS2013 RC RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I tried to publish my lightswitch app (still very basic) to a folder on my computer (Publish to local folder). VS starts building and publishing, tells me the action succeeded, but the published file is nowhere to be found.

What am I doing wrong?

Friday, October 4, 2013 6:37 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please try to check the following steps to see if it helps:

Step 1

Now, again go to the Build Tab and select the Publish (Application Name) option. Note that here our application name is Application6.

publish.jpg

Step 2

We will notice that the LightSwitch Application Wizard appears.

app type.jpg

Step 3

In the Application Type, we will select one application, either Web or Desktop Application. Here we will choose Desktop Application and click on "Next" button.

app type.jpg

Step 4

In the Application Server Configuration, we will be asked to choose "Where the application's services will be hosted?" and we will choose Local and click on the "Next" button.

server config.jpg

Step 5

In the Publish Output section we will need to specify the path under "Where do you want the application files to be placed?" and we also need to select the option from "How do you want to publish the default database?" and after selecting click on the "Next" button.

publish output.jpg

Step 6

In the Database Connections,we need to specify both user as well as administrator database connections, then click on the "Next" button.

mt database conn.jpg

Step 7

In order to specify the connection we click on the button, the connection property window appears. We also provide the username and password and enter the database name.

conn prop.jpg

Step 8

We click on the Test Connection button to test the connection. We click the "OK" button.

test result.jpg

Step 9

In the Prerequisites section, we will specify "whether the application have any additional dependencies that need to be installed?". We will choose "No, only install the prerequisites" then click on the "Next" button.

prerequirties.jpg

Step 10

In the "Specify a certificate" section, we are not specifying any certificate; click on the "Next" button.

specify a certi.jpg

Step 11

In the summary section, we will see the basic summary of our application and click on Publish button.

publish summery.jpg

When we Publish we get:

publish succeed.jpg

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, October 7, 2013 8:46 AM

All replies

• The default location for the publish output is "Solution Name / Project Name / Publish".  If not the path you specify in 'Publish Output' page of the Publish wizard. Please see the video for details - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/gg274326

Friday, October 4, 2013 9:26 PM
  • Hi Ravi,

I changed the publish folder to something else. The build window shows a succesfull compile/build and then it states a succesfull publish to the location I gave. However, the folder is empty.

Am I doing something wrong? Because I also noticed the publishing is quite different from VS2010/2012, where I can publish the entire application and not only the server component. 

Friday, October 4, 2013 10:22 PM
  • Hi,

Please try to check the following steps to see if it helps:

Step 1

Now, again go to the Build Tab and select the Publish (Application Name) option. Note that here our application name is Application6.

publish.jpg

Step 2

We will notice that the LightSwitch Application Wizard appears.

app type.jpg

Step 3

In the Application Type, we will select one application, either Web or Desktop Application. Here we will choose Desktop Application and click on "Next" button.

app type.jpg

Step 4

In the Application Server Configuration, we will be asked to choose "Where the application's services will be hosted?" and we will choose Local and click on the "Next" button.

server config.jpg

Step 5

In the Publish Output section we will need to specify the path under "Where do you want the application files to be placed?" and we also need to select the option from "How do you want to publish the default database?" and after selecting click on the "Next" button.

publish output.jpg

Step 6

In the Database Connections,we need to specify both user as well as administrator database connections, then click on the "Next" button.

mt database conn.jpg

Step 7

In order to specify the connection we click on the button, the connection property window appears. We also provide the username and password and enter the database name.

conn prop.jpg

Step 8

We click on the Test Connection button to test the connection. We click the "OK" button.

test result.jpg

Step 9

In the Prerequisites section, we will specify "whether the application have any additional dependencies that need to be installed?". We will choose "No, only install the prerequisites" then click on the "Next" button.

prerequirties.jpg

Step 10

In the "Specify a certificate" section, we are not specifying any certificate; click on the "Next" button.

specify a certi.jpg

Step 11

In the summary section, we will see the basic summary of our application and click on Publish button.

publish summery.jpg

When we Publish we get:

publish succeed.jpg

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, October 7, 2013 8:46 AM
  • Hi Amy,

TX.. i feel really stupid now... because of the new layout, I was trying to publish the xxx.SERVER component, but I never realized I should use the separate Application 6 item...

TX, it now works...

Monday, October 7, 2013 11:33 PM