Win32 API to invoke virus scan? RRS feed

• Question

• We have an application that allows users to upload files that the application will store. We would like to do a virus scan on each before we upload it.

Is there an API that the various AV vendors implement such that we can invoke a scan without caring which AV is installed? The security center knows what AV is installed and if it is up to date. Does that extend to allowing an application to demand an arbitrary scan?

Thanks.

TK

Thursday, January 6, 2011 7:48 PM

Answers

• I don't think so. The security center does not have the file scan feature, so it could not possiblely provide an API for file scan.

You can let the user to enter the exe file path and pameters like adding custom tools to Visual Studio.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    • Marked as answer by tkz909 Friday, January 7, 2011 6:44 PM
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 9:16 PM

All replies

• I don't think so. The security center does not have the file scan feature, so it could not possiblely provide an API for file scan.

You can let the user to enter the exe file path and pameters like adding custom tools to Visual Studio.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    • Marked as answer by tkz909 Friday, January 7, 2011 6:44 PM
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 9:16 PM
  • Interesting question, and MSDN actually discusses how a virus scan feature might be implemented ("Introduction to the Antivirus API"):

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537371.aspx

Seems almost straightforward; I wonder about the gotchas waiting there.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:54 PM