Question(s) about PFX files RRS feed

• Question

• User-284642143 posted

I have a third party class library project which contains a PFX file. When i rebuild it i get the error 

Cannot import the following key file: companyname.pfx. The key file may be password protected. To correct this, try to import the certificate again or manually install the certificate to the Strong Name CSP with the following key container name: VS_KEY_3E185446540E7F7A

After searching around i noticed the solution to this issue is to run the command

sn -i companyname.pfx VS_KEY_3E185446540E7F7A

however it asked me for a password. I dont know the password for it as its never been supplied.

So im wondering could i just go into Signing > Change Password and all should be ok with existing projects using the same DLL? Or would this introduce new problems? After researching it seems the idea of having a PFX file is to sign the assembly but i dont know what or how this works so a little weak on this area so dont mind anyone explaining in plain terms please?

Thanks

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 4:33 AM

Answers

• User-718146471 posted

You need to get the password from whomever generated the PFX certificate if you plan to use it.  That is one rule we cannot bend, sorry.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 7:47 AM