none
WES8.1 IP install problem. RRS feed

• Question

• I created something using SIM, much like my existing WES7 image in style (disk partitions, bits and bobs, user etc) Fire up the installer with the autounattend.xml on a USB and it gets all the way to:

Windows could not apply unattend settings during pass [offlineServicing]

I doubt that is the culprit since all it has is:

<settings pass="offlineServicing">
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-LUA-Settings" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <EnableLUA>false</EnableLUA>
            </component>
        </settings>

A dig around for the Panther logs gives me:

"Error CBS Exec: Failed ot pre-stage package: Microsoft-Windows-Embedded-ToastNotificationFilter-Package~31bf... file: SqlPersistenceService_Logic.sql, source: \\?\E:\Windows\Servicing\Packages\x86_microsoft-windows-wwfcorecomp.resources_...  sandbox: (null) [HRESULT = 0x800f081f - CBE_E_SOURCE_MISSING]

thud bang crash, game over.

The same media works when I don't use SIM, but for consistency and stuff, I really want to.

Ideas?

=^x^=

Monday, February 16, 2015 8:16 AM

Answers

• I think I found the cause of this, the error message is misleading.

Not enabling NetFX3 in SIM gets me past this error every time.

And this is *release* quality?

That's before I start on all the errors and garbage in gpedit.msc.

=^x^=

• Marked as answer by P 'Bunny' E Monday, March 9, 2015 7:33 AM
    Monday, March 9, 2015 7:33 AM

All replies

• 1. Did you include any device drivers paths in Pass 2?

2. If yes to 1, did you create a configuration set rather than just the answer file to include the drivers?

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Monday, February 16, 2015 6:00 PM
  • Yes, both.

it has to be something in the unattend.xml tripping it over, it is remarkably consistent about it -.-

=^x^=

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 5:23 AM
  • In SIM, try disabling whatever is set for the Toast Filter.

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 4:54 PM
  • In the end I got OEC to send me the official DVD. That seems to work better than the MSDN one. I really wonder what the difference is.

=^x^=

Monday, March 2, 2015 6:51 AM
  • I think I found the cause of this, the error message is misleading.

Not enabling NetFX3 in SIM gets me past this error every time.

And this is *release* quality?

That's before I start on all the errors and garbage in gpedit.msc.

=^x^=

• Marked as answer by P 'Bunny' E Monday, March 9, 2015 7:33 AM
    Monday, March 9, 2015 7:33 AM
  • I just ran into this problem. There were some other posts in answers forum about some KB updates being the issue, but since we are just installing the OS the KBs are not in place. There is an MSDN article that covers some of this issue: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh506443(v=vs.110).aspx

I had installed .NET 3.5 before using this SIM setting, but the target system had to be connected to the Internet to do the download. Internet connection is needed even if the feature was enabled via Control Panel. After doing some searching, the funny thing is the .NET 3.5 files are on the install disk under \sources\sxs.

What I have done

1. Take the sxs directory, and place it in the OEM Folder under some root.
    2. Implement a Pass7 sync command: DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:<path>sxs
    3. Implement another Pass7 sync command to delete the sxs folder.

.NET Framework 3.5 gets installed without having the device connected to the Internet.

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 1:49 AM
  • You don't actually need to copy sources\sxs\ if you still have the install media online. the installer USB has it all there, it just will not work through enabling it in SIM. (Amazing QC there.)

(I did make the mistake of putting autounattend.xml on the same usb as the install media, if you do that, it copies the entire USB onto your SSD ^^;)

Although you need to know the media location or be able to find it by magic. In my case it is usually J:

Passes confuse me and I really wonder if (since this machine will only ever have 1 user 1 application) it is better to not go to Audit at all and do everything in oobe then sysprep/generalize.

Windows Update not working in Audit mode being a real winner...

=^x^=

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 8:25 AM
  • The install disk appears to be copied to c:\Windows\ConfigSetRoot. I delete this directory to save space. The problem is that the install media is pulled out of the system well before I can run DISM to install the feature in Pass 7. It is easier to copy the files to DS. Maybe running DISM to install .NET 3.5 with c:\Windows\ConfigSetRoot as the source and then deleting this directory is the correct solution.

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 3:37 PM