none
Starting February 1, 2012: Use the Power of Kinect for Windows to Change the World RRS feed

All replies

• Hi Rob,

• Will a new version of  the SDK be released along with this in february?
    • If a new SDK is released, will it have any significant changes from what I am currently using?

Thank you for engineering an amazing piece of technology for us, we're putting it to good use here.

• Edited by Emile Victor Wednesday, January 11, 2012 12:08 AM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 11:55 PM
  • Emile-

Thanks for your questions... 

EV: Will a new version of  the SDK be released along with this in february?
    RR: Yes, a new version of the Driver, Runtime, and SDK will be release on February 1st.

EV: If a new SDK is released, will it have any significant (beneficial) changes from what I am currently using?
    RR: Yes, the driver, runtime, and SDK have numerous improvements over beta2!!  Several months of development of our growing team. We'll have details on 2/1.

Thanks, Rob Relyea | @rrelyea
    @KinectForWindows

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 1:21 AM
  • Thanks for your reply Rob!

Is it a jump ahead of M5, or is it M5 being released to the public?

Thanks,

Emile

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:20 AM
  • Its unfortunate to read that the USB cable is being shortened. As an artist, I greatly appreciate and utilize the current long cable as it aids in flexible positioning of the Kinect and the computer. With a shortened cable, its very likely I would need to get a USB extension which tends to have a in-line hub which tends to cause problems with high-bandwidth devices like the Kinect.

You design for the masses. I know. Its still unfortunate for the fewer.

The press release is vague (to me) about the functionality of existing Kinects with the upcoming Feb 1 SDK. Will the existing (I own 2) Kinect's have *full and uninhibited* functionality of all SDK features with the upcoming 1 Feb SDK release?

--Dale
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 11:09 AM
  • If I connect my laptop to my living room TV and get Kinect for Windows, how will Kinect enrich mine and my family's experience? 
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 1:58 PM
  • Hi, what are the key benefits of purchasing the new kinect? I heard: - shorter cable - less distance
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 2:51 PM
  • hello .....
    Does the xbox 360 kinect support for Windows will continue to go after the new hardware and sdk after February 1?
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 2:57 PM
  • Emile-
    We've had 3 milestones of work and stabilization since Beta2. "M5" happened to be the first of those 3.
    But it sounds like you are a TAP participant...feel free to ask this kind of question via TAP mechanisms.

@KinectForWindows

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 4:12 PM
  • @Stephen -

By itself, the Kinect for Windows sensor won't enrich anything - as it doesn't come with any software. It takes software that does great things, leveraging the Kinect for Windows sensor via the Kinect for Windows SDK and Runtime.

So, if you are not a developer...wait until somebody builds great software and sells or gives it to you.

If you are a developer, build some great software...and give us feedback on how the SDK/Runtime/Hardware can grow to help you build even better things.

@KinectForWindows

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 4:14 PM
  • @duWichtel-

The blog post above links to our November post that talks about some of the details of the new hardware. We'll have more details on Feb 1st.

@KinectForWindows

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 4:16 PM
  • @jhonK-

Please read the blog post carefully for that answer. In short...developers will continue to be able to use Kinect for Xbox 360...either with beta2 (for the next several years - to support existing or new non-commercial deployments with beta2 + a Kinect for Xbox360)...or with v1 (on your dev machine only).

@KinectForWindows

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 4:19 PM
  • @Dale-

The USB cable was shortened to make it reliable on PC configurations. There are techniques (extension cables, etc...) to make it meet your needs. To start though, we need a dependable device that works with all PCs. The Xbox has one USB controller that it needs to work with...the PC has many!!!

About the vagueness...the blog post gets this all across: Xbox sensors will continue to work with the v1 SDK for developers. You won't be able to do commercial or non-commercial deployments with the Xbox sensor. If you need to do non-commerical deployments with the Xbox sensor, you'll be able to use beta 2 for several years for that non-commerical deployment.

Hope that helps.

@KinectForWindows

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 4:27 PM
  • I am curious what the implications of the near field will be, will it focus more on hands, head and arms and not the entire body? Any information would be helpful!

Thanks

Stuart Cotts
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:07 PM
  • @Stuart-
    Sorry, we're not going to go deeper into that until Feb 1st.

@KinectForWindows

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:21 PM
  • @Stuart-
    Sorry, we're not going to go deeper into that until Feb 1st.

@KinectForWindows

You may want to fix the URL in your Twitter hyperlink in your signature.  It appears the Twitter handle is @KinectWindows, and not @KinectForWindows.
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 1:41 AM
  • Please read the blog post carefully for that answer. In short...developers will continue to be able to use Kinect for Xbox 360...either with beta2 (for the next several years - to support existing or new non-commercial deployments with beta2 + a Kinect for Xbox360)...or with v1 (on your dev machine only).

Question @Rob does this mean that i can deploy the drivers for beta 2 over my network internally at work? Because i work at a K-12 organization but im in the public school sector or just add kinect to volume license program at school?

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

• Edited by The Thinker Tuesday, January 17, 2012 1:14 PM
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 1:42 PM
  • Simple question: Will I be able to use kinect for windows commercially starting 1 feb 2012?

Monday, January 16, 2012 3:34 PM