Direct Database connection on Windows Mobile 6.5 !! RRS feed

• Question

• User1561866025 posted

Hi all,

I will be having  a new  scanner soon where Windows OS 6.5 is installed,

So my question is whether a direct conection can be made between

a scanner and database without using any kind of webservice.

Are there any Oracle ODBC drivers provided in Windows OS 6.5  

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 6:59 AM

Answers

• User-1226263862 posted

If you don't want a local database on the device then there is no reason for me to provide links to SQL CE.  If you wanted to learn more about it out of curiosity, a simple google search on sql server ce would bring you a number of results. 

In my opinion you have 2 options then:

• store the data in a text file (csv, xml, etc) on the scanner, then create a set of web services the mobile app calls and sends the data in the text files to the Oracle database. 
    • don't store the data in a text file and assume you will always have a network connection, then create a set of web services the mobile app calls when an event happens (button click) and sends the data to directly from the mobile device to the Oracle database.

As far as I know there are no mobile drivers for direct connect to Oracle dabase on WM 6.5.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 3:20 PM
  • User-1226263862 posted

There is an SDK for WM but I don't know about the ODBC drivers.  If that were the case then I'm guessing you might be able to do a direct connect to the Oracle database via wireless.  Only downfall I see is for every write action that happens to the database you would have to check to see there was a connection first.  And what if you lose connection in the middle of a transaction?  Roll it back? 

I think the more robust solution would be to store the data or subset of data on the device and provide a sync feature when the user is finished or whenever they want. 

You might check Oracle's website for the other option of using a mobile version of the database.

Friday, January 27, 2012 11:13 AM

All replies

• User-1226263862 posted

You can use SQL CE on the moble device and your app will have a direct connection to the database located on that device.  You could create a local network connection to the database but once the connection was broken (lost wireless signal, or LAN connection) your program would most likely break.  The last Mobile 6.5 app I developed used SQL Merge Replication and had a local database on the device and performed a sync (when the user clicked a button) to the main database.  As long as the user had an interent connection the sync was able to happen and it didn't matter if they were in the office it was developed in, somewhere in the US or China, it performed a sync based on a public facing, secured URL.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 8:49 AM
  • User1561866025 posted

Hi b471code3,

Thanks for replying, if possible please provide links for SQL CE.

I don't want to create a local database on scanner.

Actually the scanner will performs operations like scanning and so on

and it will update accordingly on the database which will be a server.

And it will be a Oracle Database.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:43 PM
  • User-1226263862 posted

If you don't want a local database on the device then there is no reason for me to provide links to SQL CE.  If you wanted to learn more about it out of curiosity, a simple google search on sql server ce would bring you a number of results. 

In my opinion you have 2 options then:

• store the data in a text file (csv, xml, etc) on the scanner, then create a set of web services the mobile app calls and sends the data in the text files to the Oracle database. 
    • don't store the data in a text file and assume you will always have a network connection, then create a set of web services the mobile app calls when an event happens (button click) and sends the data to directly from the mobile device to the Oracle database.

As far as I know there are no mobile drivers for direct connect to Oracle dabase on WM 6.5.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 3:20 PM
  • User1561866025 posted

My research is without webservice as we already had a scanner which connects to database through webservice.

I thought Windows OS 6.5 has such features like it has SDK's which provides ODBC drivers.

Also do you have any idea about Oracle database mobile lite, I guess it can be installed on scanner.

Friday, January 27, 2012 10:57 AM
  • User-1226263862 posted

There is an SDK for WM but I don't know about the ODBC drivers.  If that were the case then I'm guessing you might be able to do a direct connect to the Oracle database via wireless.  Only downfall I see is for every write action that happens to the database you would have to check to see there was a connection first.  And what if you lose connection in the middle of a transaction?  Roll it back? 

I think the more robust solution would be to store the data or subset of data on the device and provide a sync feature when the user is finished or whenever they want. 

You might check Oracle's website for the other option of using a mobile version of the database.

Friday, January 27, 2012 11:13 AM
  • User1944684078 posted

Hi harsh288

I have a scenario similar to yours, i would like to develop a component that connects directly to an oracle server, did you find a solution? or which was your workaround to solve this requirement

Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 5:01 PM