none
Can my school use VS Community 2017 with no license agreement?

Question

• In reading through the descriptions of the differences between versions, it does appear to allow a school to be an exception to the Enterprise license.  But that's not certain enough for my job.  

I teach at a community college with about 150 computers in five labs that need to upgrade from Enterprise 2015*.

IT says it is impossible - we paid for a site license to Enterprise before I worked here, so they think that Community won't work and they need to go through the formal process to get a purchase order for Enterprise 2017.  I just need an official statement saying without a doubt that a school can put Community 2017 on every computer without any kind of site license.  Freshman C++ doesn't need the Enterprise features.

Super please.

* I do mean "need" - the students get 2017 at home, and 2017 projects won't open on 2015 so they can't bring their homework in.

Graham Smallwood

FT Instructor, GWC

gsmallwood1@gwc.cccd.edu

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 3:09 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Do not confuse a "license agreement" with "paying" (Enterprise agreement, volume licensing, MSDN Subscription, etc.). All software has a license agreement, even if it is free, a trial version, etc.

Visual Studio 2017 Community Edition is free for "classroom learning environments" like yours. I don't see why you would want to pay for Visual Studio 2017 Enterprise Edition unless you are teaching the features of the Enterprise edition.

Also, Visual Studio 2017 Community edition can coexist with Visual Studio 2015 any edition and even with Visual Studio 2017 Professional edition or Enterprise edition.

For licensing see my post:

Licensing the Visual Studio family of products (or using them for free)

and the official Visual Studio Licensing whitepaper updated for VS 2017 for your IT staff:

Microsoft Visual Studio Licensing

From page 8: 

"Visual Studio Community 2017

Visual Studio Community 2017 is a free, full-featured IDE for any developer building non-enterprise apps across any platform or device. It includes all the capabilities needed to create compelling non-enterprise applications, including powerful productivity features, mobile development tools for Windows, iOS and Android, and access to thousands of extensions.

Who can use the Software
    Rights to use Visual Studio Community depend on the customer segment and usage scenarios as explained below.

Individual developers

• Any individual developer can use Visual Studio Community, to create their own free or paid apps.

Organizations

• An unlimited number of users within an organization can use Visual Studio Community for the following scenarios: in a classroom learning environment, for academic research, or for contributing to open source projects.
    • For all other usage scenarios: In non-enterprise organizations up to 5 users can use Visual Studio Community. In enterprise organizations (meaning those with >250 PCs or > $1M in annual revenue) no use is permitted for employees as well as contractors beyond the open source, academic research and classroom learning environment scenarios described above."

My portal and blog about VSX: http://www.visualstudioextensibility.com; Twitter: https://twitter.com/VSExtensibility; MZ-Tools productivity extension for Visual Studio: https://www.mztools.com

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 5:44 AM

All replies

• I believe you can use it but for a limited period.

Mark Answered, if it solves your question and Vote if you found it helpful.
    Rohit Arora

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 3:24 AM
  • Hi,

Do not confuse a "license agreement" with "paying" (Enterprise agreement, volume licensing, MSDN Subscription, etc.). All software has a license agreement, even if it is free, a trial version, etc.

Visual Studio 2017 Community Edition is free for "classroom learning environments" like yours. I don't see why you would want to pay for Visual Studio 2017 Enterprise Edition unless you are teaching the features of the Enterprise edition.

Also, Visual Studio 2017 Community edition can coexist with Visual Studio 2015 any edition and even with Visual Studio 2017 Professional edition or Enterprise edition.

For licensing see my post:

Licensing the Visual Studio family of products (or using them for free)

and the official Visual Studio Licensing whitepaper updated for VS 2017 for your IT staff:

Microsoft Visual Studio Licensing

From page 8: 

"Visual Studio Community 2017

Visual Studio Community 2017 is a free, full-featured IDE for any developer building non-enterprise apps across any platform or device. It includes all the capabilities needed to create compelling non-enterprise applications, including powerful productivity features, mobile development tools for Windows, iOS and Android, and access to thousands of extensions.

Who can use the Software
    Rights to use Visual Studio Community depend on the customer segment and usage scenarios as explained below.

Individual developers

• Any individual developer can use Visual Studio Community, to create their own free or paid apps.

Organizations

• An unlimited number of users within an organization can use Visual Studio Community for the following scenarios: in a classroom learning environment, for academic research, or for contributing to open source projects.
    • For all other usage scenarios: In non-enterprise organizations up to 5 users can use Visual Studio Community. In enterprise organizations (meaning those with >250 PCs or > $1M in annual revenue) no use is permitted for employees as well as contractors beyond the open source, academic research and classroom learning environment scenarios described above."

My portal and blog about VSX: http://www.visualstudioextensibility.com; Twitter: https://twitter.com/VSExtensibility; MZ-Tools productivity extension for Visual Studio: https://www.mztools.com

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 5:44 AM
  • That's what I'm talking aboot!  Thank you for the administration-level answer.  There's no way they'll turn down my upgrade request now.
    Wednesday, April 12, 2017 3:20 PM