none
Windows HLK - can't install driver for testing on client machine RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm new to driver development and testing and I apologize in advance for any silly questions.

I'm developing a microphone driver and am at the stage I want to sign it for public use.  I'm want to use the HLK to create a package and submit to the hardware dashboard but I've hit a bit of a snag. 

My current problem is that I can't install my driver on my machine that runs HLK client because the driver isn't signed.  

I'm probably missing a step but I couldn't find anything in the HLK docs.  It just assumes your device is installed and you can select it to run tests on.  

I might be able to boot my client pc with the driver signature enforcement disabled but I feel like I shouldn't have to do that.  

Is there a way to sign this driver for testing purposes?  Unfortunately I can't build the driver with a test certificate on my development machine due to IT policies (I can't go into the bios settings to allow for the bcedit to work).  

Is there a way to use my client machine to sign the driver with a test certificate?  Or is there another way for the HLK to idenify my driver (I was hoping HLK would take into account that you're probably going to test an unsigned driver).  

Thanks in advance!

HLK client machine specs:
    i7-4790k 4ghz

32 GB Ram

Nvidia GTX 980m

Windows 10 Pro build 16299

Monday, March 12, 2018 11:26 PM

All replies

• a) AFAIK there is no way to configure your machine to run permanent in a "driver signature enforcement disabled" mode. Consider that during the tests the machine will be reboot several times (roughly 3-5 times per test case).

b) Anyhow for submission you need a singed driver and you also need to sign the submission with EV2

c) I played once with the VS2017 (minifilter driver project) and it produced a signed driver (as far as I can remember). But I don't know if this signature is enough for a "normal" reboot and also for your submission (I assume not).

Check the requirements for test system. It seems a "test signed driver" is enough but I have no experience with it:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/test/hlk/getstarted/windows-hlk-prerequisites

d) It was not mentioned from you but I assume your test machine runs UEFI secure boot disabled - otherwise it will for sure not work.

• Edited by wnorbert Tuesday, March 13, 2018 9:40 AM
    Tuesday, March 13, 2018 9:31 AM
  • Thanks for the fast response wnorbert!

I managed to figure this out.  At least for the HLK testing, I found that I could sign it on my dev machine, copy over the test certificate and driver,  and install those on the test machine.  I also had a previous installation of the driver which needed to be uninstalled and have the previous driver software deleted.  

After that the driver was successfully installed.

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 8:30 PM