none
Why the embeded Silverlight only support C++? RRS feed

• Question

• Why the embeded Silverlight only support C++? As I kown,many silverlight developer
    have C# experience but no C++. Would Microsoft support the C# version in the
    next Compact Embeded?
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 6:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Lee,

have a look on this link they show how to use .NET and Silverlight together.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mikehall/archive/2010/06/23/combining-net-compact-framework-and-silverlight-for-windows-embedded.aspx

Best regards,

Mike 

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 7:28 AM
  • The Next Comapct Embedded (CE7) has native Silverlight only. However, Microsoft has added tools to make development easier. The link Mike gave you shows how to connect the native code to managed one.

The reason MS has Silverlight run on Native code is related to performance on embedded devices. Since the devices that run Windows CE are usually much weaker than your average desktop, the added computation that managed code adds will make the engine work too slow and not responsive enough in many cases.

Shai

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 7:54 AM
  • Hi Mike 

Thank you. The session is very cool:)

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 9:27 AM
  • Hi Shaili,

Thanks.I kown in many cases there are not enough resource in the embedded.

But if the devices has the ability to meet the require ,such as base on x86 architecture .Microsoft also have another soluction :WES7 .The price of  WES7 licence much higher than WinCE 6/7 :).

Why Comapct Embedded 7 could not support the Silverlight  with managed code ? which  like the Windows Phone 7. native Silverlight and managed code  are the options.

Best regards

Ricky

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 9:38 AM
  • I am not familiar with the considerations of the development team. I am not familiar with the Silverlight implementation in Phone 7. But, you need to remember that with the Windows Phone 7 they have specific HW requirements that insure they will have a strong platform underneath. With CE7 the spectrum of devices is massive.

Shai

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 10:03 AM
  • Managed code doesn't seem to add that much overhead, if you contact MVP who created the video he has access to a very complete managed wrapper. Though I'm not sure that he has worked out licensing and pricing yet.

Cheers

John Dr

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 11:04 AM
  • It's not impossible. They just chose not to do it. The justification of that was at least partially on performance. Let's say that 1/3 of the processors running Windows CE can run managed/Silverlight in a reasonable way. The cost of tools, libraries, and testing to add it is significant. Can they justify spending that money so that 1/3 of the devices could use Silverlight in that way? I doubt that even 10% of devices being produced right now are using Silverlight. Now you're talking about 10% of 1/3. The scales just don't balance.

Paul T.

Thursday, November 3, 2011 8:10 PM
  • Please look at a product called XAML In The Hand
    http://inthehand.com/content/Silverlight.aspx

It's a managed wrapper around Silverlight Embedded.

I'm one of the early adopters of this class library and I must say, it's impressive.
    It's not yet Silverlight as on a PC, but way easier as Silverlight Embeded using C++

Regards,

Arthur

p.s. When I contact the developers of the library, please mention this referal ;-)

Friday, November 4, 2011 8:01 AM