Deploying code to Azure, but keeping MSSQL database on dedicated RRS feed

• Question

• User1765159799 posted

Hi all,

I would like to put my application code into Azure, but have the database stay on our existing dedicated server where it runs quite well. At the moment the code and database are on the same dedicated box.

I have a connection string that refers to our database server by IP address. This server is behind a firewall. I can punch in an IP address to allow through the firewall. 

Is it possible to obtain details/rules to configure our firewall to allow Azure through?

Is this like anything anyone else has attempted? What is best practice here?

Monday, April 8, 2013 12:14 PM

All replies

• User-1916342745 posted

I think you will find the response times very slow. That said, I can't see any reason why this would not be possible in your case. I have connected an azure website to an old sql server. 

Monday, April 15, 2013 10:33 AM
  • User1765159799 posted

Thanks @romage - how did you do it? Did you use Site-to-Site VPN?

Monday, April 15, 2013 11:02 AM
  • User541108374 posted

Hi,

though possible it'll result in slow performance and also incurs extra costs for bandwidth usage. Only if you make use of SQL Database in the same datacenter as where your services run this cost is eliminated. Also take into account the increase delays of data retrieval.

Grz, Kris.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 11:15 AM