Simple C++ Compiler RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a C++ legacy code which compiles well on Cygwin. I wish to port this to windows. I want to compile this code in MSVC 2005 as a simple DLL(Not as an Win32 one) and use it in another simple(Not Win32) C++ application which is also compiled on MSVC 2005. Pls suggest me some literature on this/Guide me how to do this.I have referred many literatures  which guides to build an Win32 application, but my reqmt is of a simple C++ DLL and its invocation in an C++ application.

Regards,

Excel

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 11:19 AM

Answers

• Licensing is another headache.

I suggest making a new project and then copy functions one by one until its migrated over.

Then new code will be using the Windows APIs which are royalty free.

Windows MVP 2010-11, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint, Cloud, Virtualization etc. etc.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

• Marked as answer by Rob Pan Wednesday, November 2, 2011 2:11 AM
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 1:10 PM

All replies

• >I want to compile this code in MSVC 2005 as a simple DLL(Not as an Win32 one)

I'm not sure what you're referring to here. A Win32 DLL is a "simple"
    DLL. VS can create more specific DLLs such as ATL COM ones, or MFC
    Extension DLLs, but a Win32 DLL is probably what you need.

Dave

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 12:37 PM
  • I am also curious what a "not Win32" application would be.
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 1:38 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. The executable what is created out of cygwin requires the bin folder of the Cygwin for it to execute. This creates a problem when this is used for commercial purposes. I think we need to pay when we bundle the bin of the cygwin with our executable.

Regards,

Excel

Thursday, October 13, 2011 12:59 PM