none
Would like to allow user to sort a combo box on the fly RRS feed

• Question

• I have a combo box showing three fields.  It is used to select a record and populate the boxes on the form.

I would like the user to be able to sort by whichever field they would prefer.  Fields are Name, City, State.

The user might know the state and name, but not the city, etc.

Thanks!

MS - Teach me to fish

Monday, July 23, 2018 5:59 PM

Answers

• Hmm, I'm not sure if you truly meant to "sort" the combo or change the bound column. If you sort the combo using a column, which is not the leftmost visible column, then I am not sure how it will help the user look for the item they are sorting by because entering data to the combo refers to the first visible column.

In some cases like this, I have used separate comboboxes with each one displaying different columns as the first column, so the user can use any of the combos but still store the same data into the table/form. As soon as the user selects an item from one of the combos, the other combos follow suit.

Just my 2 cents...

• Marked as answer by lismeta Monday, July 23, 2018 6:25 PM
    Monday, July 23, 2018 6:07 PM

All replies

• Hmm, I'm not sure if you truly meant to "sort" the combo or change the bound column. If you sort the combo using a column, which is not the leftmost visible column, then I am not sure how it will help the user look for the item they are sorting by because entering data to the combo refers to the first visible column.

In some cases like this, I have used separate comboboxes with each one displaying different columns as the first column, so the user can use any of the combos but still store the same data into the table/form. As soon as the user selects an item from one of the combos, the other combos follow suit.

Just my 2 cents...

• Marked as answer by lismeta Monday, July 23, 2018 6:25 PM
    Monday, July 23, 2018 6:07 PM
  • Thanks, I see what you mean.  I will add two more boxes with different sort orders and they can choose.  I have folks that search by state and by name, so I know 2 will definitely get used.

Thanks again!

MS - Teach me to fish

Monday, July 23, 2018 6:27 PM
  • Hi,

You're welcome! Good luck. Let us know if it doesn't work for you.

Cheers!

Monday, July 23, 2018 6:49 PM