none
Silent mass deployment of VSTO Office Add-In including .Net dependency for non-admin users RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a request to create an installer for an Office add-in that is packaged with and will install the .Net framework dependency if necessary.  The package will be used to push the install to a number of clients. 

We currently deploy via a ClickOnce package.  ClickOnce installs the dependencies but it's manual and requires the user to have admin rights if the dependencies need to install.  ClickOnce also provides automatic updating of the add-in.

What I'm looking to do is keep the auto update functionality of ClickOnce and put it in a package with its dependencies that could be pushed out to non-admin users.  Is that possible?  How?

I've been doing a lot of reading on this over the past couple days.  The only idea I have to deploy is to put .Net into an .msi with the add-in and push via AD Group Policy Software Installation Policy.  That's the only way I see .Net getting installed without the user being an admin.  By doing that though I'm losing ClickOnce and auto update.  Am I understanding that correctly?  Is there another way?

Thanks,

John

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 4:01 PM

Answers

• Hi John,

>> What I'm looking to do is keep the auto update functionality of ClickOnce and put it in a package with its dependencies that could be pushed out to non-admin users.  Is that possible?  How?<<
    When we install the .Net Framwork, we must have the administrator privileges( Refer to .NET Framework Installation Requirements). The administrator privileges is required when we install the .Net Framework by dependency of Office add-ins too. We can’t get around it.

>> By doing that though I'm losing ClickOnce and auto update.  Am I understanding that correctly?  Is there another way?<<

Yes, you are correct. As far as I know, there is no build-in feature for auto update in Windows Installer. If you have any questions about Clickonce and Windows Installer, I recommend you to post it to ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects forum get more effective responses.

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, December 19, 2013 11:18 AM