Azure VM with VS and SQL Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to setup a development environment on an azure VM. I require Visual Studio 2013 and SQL Server 2012. The problem is that after installing the SQL Server the performance of the VM decreases drastically. After booting up the VM and opening Visual Studio for the first time I have to wait approx. 10 minutes. After that I can close VS and reopen it in a matter of seconds.
    I've tried some things described in here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/dn133149.aspx (separate disk for sql, disabled georeplication for the storage account, enabled locked pages, enabled instant file initialization), but it does not seem to help.
    Oh, I'm using the G1 size (ssd disk).

Any suggestions how to improve the performance?
    Tuesday, March 24, 2015 11:33 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting here.

Best practices and recommendations for optimizing SQL Server performance in Azure VMs

Many of the same techniques used to optimize SQL Server performance in your on-premises environment can be used to tune your SQL Server workloads in Azure Infrastructure Services. Having said that, running your database workload in a hosted multi-tenant cloud service like Azure Infrastructure Services is fundamentally different and if you want to be successful you will need to consider some new best practices. This section provides new best practices and recommendations for optimizing SQL Server performance in Azure Infrastructure Services.
    Virtual machine sizes
    In general, smaller VM sizes are best suited for lightweight development and test systems or applications. For production and intensive workload deployments, bigger virtual machine sizes (such as A3 or high memory instances) are often a better choice because they can provide more capacity in terms of virtual cores, memory and data disks.
    For SQL Server production workloads, we recommend that you use minimum Standard Tier A2 VM sizes or bigger instances. Starting with May 2014, new VM sizes (A8 and A9) have been introduced sporting faster Intel Xeon processor and increased memory sizes. Based on various performance tests, these VMs provide important benefits in terms of CPU performance, IO throughput and bandwidth. If you plan to run very high SQL Server workloads in Azure Virtual Machines, we recommend that you consider these new VM sizes.

Ref: http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/best-practices-performance/

Hope this helps you

Girish Prajwal

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 2:44 PM