Web Service Structure RRS feed

• Question

• User1953081067 posted

Hi

I'm very new to web services. After a little YouTube research, I've built and run my first basic web service.

What I'd like to understand is how best to structure it. For example: One ASMX file contains one class with multiple methods. I've worked out I need 8 or so classes (each with a number of methods), which means I need to create 8 ASMX files, and then references all 8 to my website that uses them.

Is there not a way I can use only one ASMX file and create multiple classes - like I would in a cs file with namespacese? It just seems long winded to add a reference for every file I create.

Thanks as always

Monday, January 21, 2013 10:54 AM

Answers

• User-1000095884 posted

Hi,

You can have single service with multiple contracts, but you need to have a class that implement all of the service contracts that you have exposed and configure the service like.

<service name="ServiceNameSpace.ServiceImplementationCLass" behaviorConfiguration="ServiceBehavior">
                    <endpoint address="" binding="basicHttpBinding" contract="ServiceContract1" />
                    <endpoint address="" binding="basicHttpBinding" contract="ServiceContract2" />
    </service>

Best Regards.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 1:31 AM

All replies

• User622904130 posted

i would created 1 asmx, then create the function that call the distinct functions in your classes.

Monday, January 21, 2013 12:16 PM
  • User1953081067 posted

Hummmm. Is there any easy way to include 8 or so web services to a website without addeding references for all of them?

Thanks

Monday, January 21, 2013 4:46 PM
  • User-1000095884 posted

Hi,

You can have single service with multiple contracts, but you need to have a class that implement all of the service contracts that you have exposed and configure the service like.

<service name="ServiceNameSpace.ServiceImplementationCLass" behaviorConfiguration="ServiceBehavior">
                    <endpoint address="" binding="basicHttpBinding" contract="ServiceContract1" />
                    <endpoint address="" binding="basicHttpBinding" contract="ServiceContract2" />
    </service>

Best Regards.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 1:31 AM