Installing Development Tools without the entire OS!

Question

• I have Windows 8 dev preview installed in my machine (without developer's tools). I decided to find the tools, but couldn't find them alone but they are essentially bundled with Win8devprev. Now I have downloaded the win8+tools ISO, I cannot find a way to install tools from it. Is there, by any chance, a way to extract tools from the ISO or should I have to reinstall the entire OS to get VS2011preview?
    Friday, September 23, 2011 6:05 PM

Answers

• go to download.microsoft.com and search for visual studio 11.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    • Marked as answer by Real McCoy Saturday, September 24, 2011 1:27 AM
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 12:43 AM

All replies

• go to download.microsoft.com and search for visual studio 11.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    • Marked as answer by Real McCoy Saturday, September 24, 2011 1:27 AM
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 12:43 AM
  • Thanks Sheng. It would be nice if there would be any option in the wind8 setup to install Visual Studio 11 and dev-tools, when launched within the Windows. The 4.84GB of downloaded ISO gone useless!
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 1:29 AM
  • If you want to write Metro style apps you will need the preview install with the tools.  Installing VS separately will work for desktop apps.

See http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/toolsforwinapps/thread/12057f17-2f6c-422e-836e-47bcb1656a5d

Saturday, September 24, 2011 2:24 AM
    Owner
  • I downloaded it from this page: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=27538 and installed it in the win8-only box. It gives me all the features including Metro style apps development. I guess the post you are referring to, has the day1 info. These bundles might get released later on.

Thanks for the input though.

Saturday, September 24, 2011 5:23 AM