none
Use "Hide from users browsing or searching the Store" by updating an app

Question

• Hello,

As I understand the option "Hide from users browsing or searching the Store" hides the app after publishing and users can access it only if they have the link provided in the "Detail" section.

How dose that works with an update ?

I published an new update by checking that option and when i go to the link provided in the "Detail" section it shows the old app without proposing the update.

Can someone explain how this works and if this is possible with updates ?

Thanks

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 12:55 PM

All replies

• I just had a similar situation: I created a new version, got the confirmation that it is available in the store now. But when I opened the store, I would still see the old version. If I installed it, it was really still the old version. But when I manually searched for app updates, the update was found and could be installed, although the store would still show the old version while browsing. So it looks like it may take some time for the store servers to really display a new version, even though it is theoretically available. Probably due to some caching.

I think this is bad, the mail should only be sent when the servers are all updated and users will really see and install the new version.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 1:01 PM
  • It can take up to 24 hours for updates to be rolled out to servers around the world. This has been the case for quite some time and is stated as such in the description of the publishing process.

It's of course valid criticism and as such should be directed to the feedback page on Windows Phone development where it's aggregated and sure to be found by the people working on the implementation of those features: http://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/110705-dev-platform/category/81610-store-center-publication

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 1:14 PM
  • Thanks for the answer. This explains the time it took to show the new version. I could experience that.

The other question is, when we check the option "Hide from users browsing or searching the Store", does it hides the old app to or only the new update ?

From experience it hides the old app also not only the new update. What I don't want to.
    I would like the old version to be in the store and the new one only by known URL for beta testers.

Thursday, September 11, 2014 9:25 AM
  • This is not possible I think. Either your app is listed, or it is not listed. There is no possibility to list only specific versions. If you want to supply beta versions separate of release versions, you either need to create a separate "beta" app, or supply the beta testers your "test app packages" for manual installation. Both of these ways have their disadvantages.

It would be great if you could create a "beta" channel for the same app. The Windows Phone Store does have this functionality, but the Windows Store lacks it.

Thursday, September 11, 2014 10:22 AM
  • I have created a user voice item for this. Please vote if you would like to have beta apps for windows as well:

http://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/110705-dev-platform/suggestions/6422802-allow-beta-deployment-of-windows-apps-like-for-wp

Thursday, September 11, 2014 10:26 AM