Xamarin.Forms 2.3.0.34-pre1 Release Notes? RRS feed

• Question

• User1278 posted

I cant seem to find any release notes for Xamarin.Forms 2.3.0.34-pre1. Anyone know where I can find them?

Thanks.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 6:40 PM

Answers

• User76916 posted

@RaymondKelly - I can't find them either, looks like a small oversight. I'm sure @BryanHunterXam will do the forum post update soon.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, April 28, 2016 12:30 AM
  • User25759 posted

You can find the info in the nuget, but also it is open source :) https://github.com/xamarin/xamarin.forms

Thursday, April 28, 2016 5:30 AM

All replies

• User76916 posted

@RaymondKelly - I can't find them either, looks like a small oversight. I'm sure @BryanHunterXam will do the forum post update soon.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 12:30 AM
  • User76916 posted

@RaymondKelly - all the Nuget packages are been updated to -pre2 now. The only reason I'm monitoring atm is I am waiting for that CarouselView to come out in the Nuget package now that it was split from the main package.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 12:44 AM
  • User25759 posted

You can find the info in the nuget, but also it is open source :) https://github.com/xamarin/xamarin.forms

Thursday, April 28, 2016 5:30 AM
  • User1278 posted

They are posted now. Unfortunately still no fixes for the broken ListView on iOS, ugggggg. Thanks all.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 1:34 PM
  • User120969 posted

@RaymondKelly said: They are posted now. Unfortunately still no fixes for the broken ListView on iOS, ugggggg. Thanks all.

Based on how massively broken it is and for how long it's been broken:

1) Xamarin can't fix it 2) Xamarin can't be bothered fixing it

Thursday, April 28, 2016 5:26 PM
  • User89714 posted

@RaymondKelly @Matthew.4307 - Out of curiosity, what is it that's so broken about the iOS ListView? When there were major issues with ListView and TableView some time back (about a year ago), I "temporarily" changed to using StackLayout, so that I could get other things working. I'm just about to change all of those StackLayouts back to ListViews, so am curious as to what I might hit.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 6:31 PM
  • User120969 posted

It can't work out how big items in the list are meant to be and it renders a complete mess. And forget about changing the size of an item in the list after it has rendered it on screen.

ForceUpdateSize is little more than useless.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 7:24 PM
  • User89714 posted

@Matthew.4307 - Thanks for the heads up. I was expecting to make use of ForceUpdateSize when using an expanding item. With a StackLayout, expansion and contraction doesn't need that, but I am expecting ListView to require it. As the song says... "There may be trouble ahead"

Thursday, April 28, 2016 7:56 PM
  • User120969 posted

@JohnHardman said: @Matthew.4307 - Thanks for the heads up. I was expecting to make use of ForceUpdateSize when using an expanding item. With a StackLayout, expansion and contraction doesn't need that, but I am expecting ListView to require it. As the song says... "There may be trouble ahead"

Don't expect this to work at all in a ListView on iOS.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 8:09 PM
  • User1278 posted

@Matthew.4307 @JohnHardman @AdamP Matt is right about the sizing. When set to uneven rows, its completely busted.
    - Nothing sizes properly, content overlaps and cuts off - When scrolling to the bottom (my app is a chat app) it bounces back up to random places in the the list view - ScrollToRow() doesnt take you to the row requested - ItemAppearing event fires for EVERY row regardless if its visible or not. So if I have 100 rows and I add 1 row, ItemAppearing fires 101 times. This makes lazy loading useless. (and this happens on Android when you resize a list view, all items fire ItemAppearing regardless of they really did or not).

I don't see how this is not a critical, showstopper, all hands on deck bug as important as the ListView is. Bug here: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=28277

Ray

Friday, April 29, 2016 12:11 PM
  • User120969 posted

@RaymondKelly said: @Matthew.4307 @JohnHardman @AdamP Matt is right about the sizing. When set to uneven rows, its completely busted.
    - Nothing sizes properly, content overlaps and cuts off - When scrolling to the bottom (my app is a chat app) it bounces back up to random places in the the list view - ScrollToRow() doesnt take you to the row requested - ItemAppearing event fires for EVERY row regardless if its visible or not. So if I have 100 rows and I add 1 row, ItemAppearing fires 101 times. This makes lazy loading useless. (and this happens on Android when you resize a list view, all items fire ItemAppearing regardless of they really did or not).

I don't see how this is not a critical, showstopper, all hands on deck bug as important as the ListView is. Bug here: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=28277

Ray

We have a Bugzilla confirmed that using ForceUpdateSize scrolls the list to a (seemingly) random location

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=40432

So even the official workaround to the resizing issue is completely useless.

So far the workaround to make the ListView remotely usable is in a custom renderer to move the list to the right so it isn't on screen and then move it back to the starting location, this causes the list to redraw without crazy scrolling.

Friday, April 29, 2016 5:15 PM
  • User46400 posted

@Matthew.4307 said:

@RaymondKelly said: They are posted now. Unfortunately still no fixes for the broken ListView on iOS, ugggggg. Thanks all.

Based on how massively broken it is and for how long it's been broken:

1) Xamarin can't fix it 2) Xamarin can't be bothered fixing it

Regarding this, it can't be true. I have just completed my own custom ListView implementation for iOS and it is working perfectly! I have cells being reused even though I use different views for differents rows with different heights. Sections are also working and I even have support for using the "group style" which basically makes it act as a databindable TableView. Variable row heights (as mentioned) and expanding collapsing items with nice animations also work great.

This was done after being frustrated with the performance of Xamarins default implementation. Basically I had to create my own ListViewSource and redoing much of the work that I am sure Xamarin already has done. I also had to use Xamarins built in renderers (Platform.CreateRenderer ) to be able to use Xamarin Views inside my cells. The only thing not working here are some of the auto layout stuff, but I can workaround it by setting HeightRequested or more absolute position values.

Now I was thinking of putting this up on github, but not sure how to progress now that Xamarin.Forms is open source. Since i'm pretty familiar with all the Xamarin ListView bugs by now I am sure I can see some of the problems when looking around. For example DataTemplateSelectors and cell reuse is not working, and so on.

Can anyone contribute to the source code?

Friday, April 29, 2016 5:24 PM
  • User74 posted

I believe anyone can contribute, but in the mean time I would be interested in seeing your implementation! Was thinking of doing something similar but just never seem to find the time. With XF open source I was going to start poking around anyway.

Monday, May 2, 2016 9:38 AM
  • User181025 posted

@JamesMontemagno Can we get this one fixed in the next release? https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=38019 Some of my views need to be fullscreen, but I can't hide the title bar in AppCompat so now I'm stuck with the old FormsApplicationActivity base class.

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 6:44 PM
  • User74 posted

@JamesMontemagno said: You can find the info in the nuget, but also it is open source :) https://github.com/xamarin/xamarin.forms

I don't see the release notes anywhere, should they be visible on github?

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 12:51 PM
  • User78996 posted

https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/releases https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/releases/tag/beta-2.3.0-pre1 https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/releases/tag/beta-2.3.0-pre2

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 2:04 PM
  • User89714 posted

@Matthrew.4307 @RaymondKelly

As per your heads-up, I've hit similar problems with ListView.

The code that works fine for implementing expandable and contractable ViewCells on Android and Windows platforms fails dismally on iOS, with the Height of the ViewCells not changing immediately on iOS. ForceUpdateSize, InvalidateMeasure etc do not help.

ScrollTo has issues too, when using rows with uneven heights, although this actually seems worse on non-iOS platforms in XF 2.2.0.45.

I use the recycle caching strategy. Using this, I found that manually scrolling the ViewCell that I want to change Height out of view and then back into view does result in the ViewCell changing height. Following this, I got the same happening in code, by setting ViewCell.Height to -1, changing the BindingContext twice (first to null and then back to the original value to trigger the BindingContextChanged event), scrolling the cell out of sight, then scrolling it back into sight (both scrolls done using ScrollTo from a timer callback, in conjunction with Device.BeginInvokeOnMainThread). It's all a very nasty hack as part of investigation (definitely not for use in real code), but it produces a reliable method of making the resize happen. The next step is to replace all this hackery with one or more custom renderers for iOS. It seems ridiculous that any of this should be necessary - the out-of-the-box Xamarin.Forms.ListView is seriously limited on iOS whilst this is necessary. I "temporarily" changed my code to use StackLayout and ScrollView over a year ago as ListView had so many issues. Now that I am switching the code back to use ListView for better responsiveness, I'm finding there are still all sorts of problems. I don't want to have the UI that I want on Android and Windows, but something different on iOS (I could use popups instead of expansion/contraction, but that would be horrible).

@JamesMontemagno - is there any update on when HasUnevenRows is going to work on iOS such that cells resize based on their content, rather than relying on developers either hard-coding magic numbers for Height, or on developers writing their own renderers to do what happens out-of-the-box on Android and Windows platforms?

Saturday, June 4, 2016 10:16 AM
  • User1278 posted

I really wish someone from Xamarin/Microsoft would chime in on this. While there are dirty workarounds like @JohnHardman mentioned, I refuse to use them. The whole reason I converted my apps from Xamarin native to Forms was combine the code base and write less code. This is a fundamental control that is flat broken, bugs are logged and there is no response. Very frustrating. @RuiMarinho.4174 @BryanHunterXam

Sunday, June 5, 2016 3:26 PM
  • User204895 posted

Thank you all for the heads-up. I am not running on iOS yet, but I was about to purchase a MacInCloud subscription and Xamarin test. I am very dependent upon ListViews. I am glad I have seen this thread (I used unevenly sized rows). I will work on a replacement strategy now.

Friday, June 17, 2016 1:51 AM