Is there any alternative to webBrowser control in windows Phone 8? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I have to insert a webbrowser in my app linked to some projects of this sketchfab. For example this could be an example "https://sketchfab.com/models/a8ebc15d510044cfa19193e2781bd763". The problem is that if I use this URL in the IE app of my windows phone it works "fine". I can see the model and move it with some dificulties buf when I use the webBrowser control it don't show the models. I am not used to work with web controls so I could be doing something wrong. Have I to configure something in the webBrowser control to show this items? Is there any alternative to this control in WP8?

This is the code of the webbrowser control that I am using:

<phone:WebBrowser x:Name="WebBrowserViewer"  Source="https://sketchfab.com" />

Thanks a lot!

Friday, July 4, 2014 8:01 AM

Answers

• By default Scripting will be disabled in embedded WebBrowser-Controls. The property controlling this is called IsScriptEnabled. So setting that to true might be a first approach to fix your issue.

Aside from that instead of showing the model directlly inside your App with an Embedded Control you could launch IE on the phone directly which given that it works in your testing should guarantee a success but the users would have to navigate back to your App later on.

Friday, July 4, 2014 8:25 AM

All replies

• By default Scripting will be disabled in embedded WebBrowser-Controls. The property controlling this is called IsScriptEnabled. So setting that to true might be a first approach to fix your issue.

Aside from that instead of showing the model directlly inside your App with an Embedded Control you could launch IE on the phone directly which given that it works in your testing should guarantee a success but the users would have to navigate back to your App later on.

Friday, July 4, 2014 8:25 AM
  • Thank you! That allows me to show the model but it works really bad. However this could be the first approach. The movement in the IE app works really bad too so if there is another alternatives to the webbrowser control I will try with it.

Anyone know someone?

Friday, July 4, 2014 8:29 AM

Another cuestion related with this. Is there any cuestion to show only the viewer windown on the webBrowser control and don't show the full page? I have to study a litle bit of web programming to be in touch with this issues.

Thanks a lot!

Friday, July 4, 2014 10:07 AM
  • There are no alternative Browser Engines on WP than the IE engine so far. So if the code that is displaying the models doesn't work well for your use case there right now is not much of an alternative.

As for extracting a subsection of a remote page: it depends on wether that subsection would be reachable with a separate URL. Extracting it by itself could technically be possible but is questionable as it's likely to be protected under copyright law unless that usage is permitted by the hosting website.

Friday, July 4, 2014 11:03 AM
  • I solve the problem to show only the viewer yet. But I cant fill it to the size of the webbrowser. The code that I am using is this:

<phone:WebBrowser x:Name="WebBrowserViewer" Background="Black" HorizontalAlignment="Stretch" VerticalAlignment="Top"  Height="450"
                        Source="https://sketchfab.com/models/dGUrytaktlDeNudCEGKk31oTJY/embed?autospin=0.3&amp;autostart=1&amp;ui_infos=0" 
                        IsScriptEnabled="True"  HorizontalContentAlignment="Stretch"/>

I think that it should work and stretch the content horizontally to the width of the webbrowser but it doesn't work. Any suggestion?

Thanks

Friday, July 4, 2014 12:20 PM