none
what's the meaning and use of "level" in word binary document ? RRS feed

• Question

• I am studying word binary documentation. The word of "level" appeared many times. It seems that a list or paragraph has one or more "levels". Could anyone tell me that what is the meaning and use of "level" in this context. Or,  does "level" help to construct the structure of a word file ?

thanks a lot :)

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 8:30 AM

Answers

• Hi wildnature,

Are you referring to this?

list level: A condition of a paragraph that specifies which numbering system and indentation to
    use, relative to other paragraphs in a bulleted or numbered list.

Otherwise can you specify a section that contains ambiguous wording?

Best regards, Tom Jebo Senior Support Escalation Engineer Microsoft Open Specification Documentation Support
    • Marked as answer by wildnature Monday, December 21, 2009 8:44 AM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 2:02 PM
  • wildnature,

I think you're beginning to understand. 

For example, in 2.4.6.3 "Determining List Formatting of a Paragraph", we see that LVL as you noted is used to determine the list level to which a particular paragraph belongs.  LVL is one of the properties in the paragraph along with LFO which is used to determine if the paragraph is even a member of a list.  LVL only applies if LFO exists and is valid.

Does that make sense?

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo Senior Support Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specification Documentation Support
    • Marked as answer by wildnature Monday, December 21, 2009 8:43 AM
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 11:24 PM
  • Hi Baron,

Are you looking for explanation of a specific part of MS-DOC wrt paragraph level properties or just a general explanation?  I think the specification has some good explanations and I can expand but it would be good to know where to start.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

• Marked as answer by Chris Mullaney Wednesday, September 1, 2010 4:44 PM
    Monday, August 16, 2010 4:54 PM

All replies

• Hi wildnature,

Are you referring to this?

list level: A condition of a paragraph that specifies which numbering system and indentation to
    use, relative to other paragraphs in a bulleted or numbered list.

Otherwise can you specify a section that contains ambiguous wording?

Best regards, Tom Jebo Senior Support Escalation Engineer Microsoft Open Specification Documentation Support
    • Marked as answer by wildnature Monday, December 21, 2009 8:44 AM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 2:02 PM
  • Can I comprehend "level" as this ? -->

There are many numbering systems and indentations help to construct or display a paragraph,  and "level" specify the particular systems and indentations related to a paragraph.

And, "level" is shown by "LVL" in Word Binary Document.

Is that true ?

Thursday, December 17, 2009 6:32 AM
  • wildnature,

I think you're beginning to understand. 

For example, in 2.4.6.3 "Determining List Formatting of a Paragraph", we see that LVL as you noted is used to determine the list level to which a particular paragraph belongs.  LVL is one of the properties in the paragraph along with LFO which is used to determine if the paragraph is even a member of a list.  LVL only applies if LFO exists and is valid.

Does that make sense?

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo Senior Support Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specification Documentation Support
    • Marked as answer by wildnature Monday, December 21, 2009 8:43 AM
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 11:24 PM
  • Baron,

Thank you for your question.  An engineer from the Protocols team will reply to this soon.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team
    Sunday, August 8, 2010 4:15 PM
  • Hi Baron,

Are you looking for explanation of a specific part of MS-DOC wrt paragraph level properties or just a general explanation?  I think the specification has some good explanations and I can expand but it would be good to know where to start.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

• Marked as answer by Chris Mullaney Wednesday, September 1, 2010 4:44 PM
    Monday, August 16, 2010 4:54 PM
  • Hi Baron – We haven’t seen a response to Tom’s follow up question in a bit now, therefore we’re going to close this thread as answered. If you need further assistance please re-post to this thread.

Thanks – Chris 

Thanks - Chris
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 4:44 PM