none
[UWP]Xaml designer failed to load on VS2015 Pro Update 2

Question

• Hi there , I update my VS2015 Pro (update 1 + UWP SDK 10586 v1.2) to update 2 + UWP SDK 10586 v1.3

previously I had no problem in loading Xaml designer but now it failed to load .

System.TypeLoadException
    Method 'GetStylePropertyTargetType' in type 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.WindowsXamlDesigner.Metadata.WindowsUIXamlPlatformMetadata' from assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.UniversalXamlDesigner, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' does not have an implementation.
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.WindowsXamlDesigner.WindowsStoreXamlPlatform..ctor(IPlatformRuntimeAssemblyResolver platformRuntimeAssemblyResolver, IPlatformReferenceAssemblyResolver platformReferenceAssemblyResolver)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.WindowsPhoneXamlDesigner.WindowsPhoneXamlPlatform..ctor(IPlatformRuntimeAssemblyResolver platformRuntimeAssemblyResolver, IPlatformReferenceAssemblyResolver platformReferenceAssemblyResolver)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.UniversalXamlDesigner.UniversalXamlPlatformCreator.CreatePlatformImpl(IPlatformReferenceAssemblyResolver referenceAssemblyResolver, IPlatformRuntimeAssemblyResolver runtimeAssemblyResolver)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.WindowsXamlDesigner.WindowsStoreXamlPlatformCreator.CreatePlatformInternal(IPlatformReferenceAssemblyResolver referenceAssemblyResolver)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.Platform.PlatformCreatorBase.CreatePlatform(IPlatformReferenceAssemblyResolver referenceAssemblyResolver)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.Designer.Project.ProjectContextManager.GetProjectContext(IHostProject project, IPlatform platform, Boolean create)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.Designer.DesignerService.CreateXamlDesignerInformationContext(IHostSourceItem item, CancellationToken cancelToken)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Remoting.RemoteDesignerService.<>c__DisplayClass11_0.<Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Remoting.IRemoteDesignerService.CreateXamlDesignerInformationContext>b__0(CancellationToken token)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Remoting.RemoteDesignerService.<>c__DisplayClass6_0`1.<MarshalInWithCancellation>b__0()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Remoting.STAMarshaler.Call.InvokeWorker()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Remoting.STAMarshaler.Call.Invoke(Boolean waitingInExternalCall)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Remoting.STAMarshaler.InvokeCall(Call call)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Remoting.STAMarshaler.ProcessQueue(CallQueue queue)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Remoting.STAMarshaler.ProcessInboundQueue(Int32 identity)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Remoting.STAMarshaler.ProcessMessage(Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean elevatedQuery, Boolean& handled)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Remoting.STAMarshaler.OnWindowMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Remoting.MessageOnlyHwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
       at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(DispatcherFrame frame)
       at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(Object ignore)
       at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window)
       at System.Windows.Application.Run(Window window)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.DesignerProcess.RunApplication()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.DesignerProcess.DesignProcessViewProvider.AppContainerDesignerProcessRun(String[] activationContextArgs)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.DesignerProcess.DesignProcessViewProvider.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<applicationView_Activated>b__0()
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Is there any workaround to solve this ?

I tried rebuild and creating new projects , also changing Target version of the project didn't solve my problem .

Thank you
    NGame

Thursday, March 31, 2016 10:31 PM

Answers

• I found a solution on my system! I disabled .NET 3.5 and .NET 2.0 as a Windows Feature, and ran the Visual Studio Setup again. The installation of the Tools of Universal Windows App 1.3 then completed without errors!

Thanks for posting your experience but I checked my Windows programs and features .

.Net framework 2.0 / 3.0 and 3.5 are disabled . So let me try to Install it after enabling it . maybe it can change something

Maybe there are more causes for this error to happen. Perhaps I should be more detailed about what I've done so far.

I first experienced this error when I updated to Update 2 from Update 1. I then uninstalled Visual Studio 2015 and installed from ISO, but no luck. After investigation I noticed that Tools for Universal Windows App 1.3 never got installed. If you run the setup again and choose modify you will se that Tools for Universal Windows App 1.3 is not checked. If you try to install it, it will go trough the installation and everything seems ok. But is it not. It never installs. After checking the installation logs I noticed that the installation actually fails with a BootStrapper error. This is often connected to corrupt .NET installations. I then tried to deactivate and activate .NET 3.5 but this didn't help. Then I tried to deactivate .NET 3.5 and ran the setup and added Tools for Universal Windows App 1.3 again. To my surprise it then ran trough the installation with no errors and the designer worked.

• Edited by Magellan82 Sunday, April 3, 2016 2:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by AliNGame Sunday, April 3, 2016 3:23 PM
    Sunday, April 3, 2016 2:36 PM
  • I found a solution on my system! I disabled .NET 3.5 and .NET 2.0 as a Windows Feature, and ran the Visual Studio Setup again. The installation of the Tools of Universal Windows App 1.3 then completed without errors!

Thanks for posting your experience but I checked my Windows programs and features .

.Net framework 2.0 / 3.0 and 3.5 are disabled . So let me try to Install it after enabling it . maybe it can change something

Maybe there are more causes for this error to happen. Perhaps I should be more detailed about what I've done so far.

I first experienced this error when I updated to Update 2 from Update 1. I then uninstalled Visual Studio 2015 and installed from ISO, but no luck. After investigation I noticed that Tools for Universal Windows App 1.3 never got installed. If you run the setup again and choose modify you will se that Tools for Universal Windows App 1.3 is not checked. If you try to install it, it will go trough the installation and everything seems ok. But is it not. It never installs. After checking the installation logs I noticed that the installation actually fails with a BootStrapper error. This is often connected to corrupt .NET installations. I then tried to deactivate and activate .NET 3.5 but this didn't help. Then I tried to deactivate .NET 3.5 and ran the setup and added Tools for Universal Windows App 1.3 again. To my surprise it then ran trough the installation with no errors and the designer worked.

Really have to say thanks Magellan82

Only thing you guys need to check is :
    Programs and features -> Microsoft VS2015 -> Select Change -> Goto Modify and check if the SDK v1.3 is surely installed . if it didn't try to install it and double check the installation file and make sure that now sdk v1.3 is installed . if it weren't install and check over and over to be success at last . If you finally get success in installation of SDK v1.3 your XAML designer problem will surely gone .

again thanks Magellan82

• Marked as answer by AliNGame Sunday, April 3, 2016 3:24 PM
    Sunday, April 3, 2016 3:23 PM

All replies

• I am experiencing the same thing (however I think a different error, receiving mine from the ActivityLog.xml) after doing the same upgrade path.

SetSite failed for package [XamlDesignerPackage][Method failed with unexpected error code 50.]:{ 
    at System.Security.AccessControl.NativeObjectSecurity.CreateInternal(ResourceType resourceType, Boolean isContainer, String name, SafeHandle handle, AccessControlSections includeSections, Boolean createByName, ExceptionFromErrorCode exceptionFromErrorCode, Object exceptionContext) at System.Security.AccessControl.FileSystemSecurity..ctor(Boolean isContainer, String name, AccessControlSections includeSections, Boolean isDirectory) at System.Security.AccessControl.FileSecurity..ctor(String fileName, AccessControlSections includeSections) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.Utility.IO.AccessHelper.IsAccessibleByAllApplicationPackages(String path) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.HostUtility.Utils.HostAppPackageAclService.CheckAclsOnDirectory(String directory) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.HostUtility.Utils.HostAppPackageAclService.ValidateOrUpdateDirectoryAcls(String directory) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.HostUtility.Utils.HostAppPackageAclService.ValidateOrUpdateAclsNoPrompt(IEnumerable`1 paths) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.IsolatedDesignerService.Initialize() at MS.Internal.Package.XamlDesignerPackage.Initialize() at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Package.Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsPackage.SetSite(IServiceProvider sp)}
    However, I rebooted my machine yesterday after the update finished and I received the error, VS opened the XamlDesigner (the code editor was not colored correctly/syntax) and I could work as normal in it. However today I relaunched my VS to the same problem. Short of reinstalling I can't find a solution.

Friday, April 1, 2016 12:46 AM
  • Hi NGame,

Thanks for your post.

I did a test in my side using VS2015 Community Update1. And it works well in my side.

Please take a look the following screenshots:

So I suppose there might something wrong during your VS installation.

Please help me to collect the VS installation logs. Please use http://aka.ms/vscollect to gather the installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to https://skydrive.live.com/ and share the link here.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Friday, April 1, 2016 8:48 AM
  • same for me... I have installed the xamarin, maybe that the source of the problem ?... by the way, xamarin is a mess and android emulator not work at all !
    Friday, April 1, 2016 8:53 AM
  • Dear Lake Xiao

thanks for your response . I had no problem on update 1 . in update 2 I ran into problem

Here is the link for VSlog :
    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E3217155078939B1!236566&authkey=!AF3jNlpRC6oJUrM&ithint=file%2czip

• Edited by AliNGame Friday, April 1, 2016 4:35 PM
    Friday, April 1, 2016 4:34 PM
  • Hi NGame,

Thanks for your post.

I did a test in my side using VS2015 Community Update1. And it works well in my side.

Please take a look the following screenshots:

So I suppose there might something wrong during your VS installation.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Dear Lake Xiao

thanks for your response . I had no problem on update 1 . in update 2 I ran into problem

Here is the link for VSlog :
    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E3217155078939B1!236566&authkey=!AF3jNlpRC6oJUrM&ithint=file%2czip

Friday, April 1, 2016 7:21 PM
  • The problem seems to be with the installation of Windows_VSTools.exe. In your logs I see two errors in dd_windows_vstools_XXX.log. They look similar to the errors I get (I'm having the same problem as well). The strange thing is that the exit code is not reporting error, so you never see that things go wrong during installation.

[4994:3578][2016-03-31T05:30:50]i000: Loading prerequisite bootstrapper application because managed host could not be loaded, error: 0x8007007a.

[4994:3578][2016-03-31T05:30:52]i000: The prerequisites were not successfully installed, error: 0x0. The bootstrapper application will be not reloaded.

With these errors the UWP tools version 1.3 are never installed and you're stuck with the old versions. That is the reason the designer fails.

I guess that Microsoft has to do something with the installation files to get this to work.

Sunday, April 3, 2016 11:34 AM

Sunday, April 3, 2016 2:13 PM

Sunday, April 3, 2016 2:24 PM

• Edited by Magellan82 Sunday, April 3, 2016 2:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by AliNGame Sunday, April 3, 2016 3:23 PM
    Sunday, April 3, 2016 2:36 PM

Aha , exactly you're right . VS2015 installation is really byggy . I tried over 6 times of installation to be success in installing UWP SDK . seems I have to try install it over and over again to get success .

I'll let all of you know if it finally got working .

Sunday, April 3, 2016 2:51 PM

Really have to say thanks Magellan82

Only thing you guys need to check is :
    Programs and features -> Microsoft VS2015 -> Select Change -> Goto Modify and check if the SDK v1.3 is surely installed . if it didn't try to install it and double check the installation file and make sure that now sdk v1.3 is installed . if it weren't install and check over and over to be success at last . If you finally get success in installation of SDK v1.3 your XAML designer problem will surely gone .

again thanks Magellan82

• Marked as answer by AliNGame Sunday, April 3, 2016 3:24 PM
    Sunday, April 3, 2016 3:23 PM
  • Musím same problem after install xamarin 
    Monday, April 4, 2016 7:34 AM
  • Im having the same issue with WPF. Any ideas?
    Monday, April 4, 2016 1:03 PM
  • Hello, I done this procedure checking 1.3, checking both... nothing change ! (I use VS community).

Well, let's reinstall Windows 10. When VS not working anymore, is the best solution...

Monday, April 4, 2016 2:14 PM
  • This is how I solved it.

Problem:
    "Tools (1.3) and Windows 10 SDK (10.0.10586)" is not installed by the Visual Studio installer.

Procedure:
    Found the msi installer for this package where Visual Studio installer extracts it.
    Tried running it. Says it needs .NET Framework.

Solution:
    Installed ".NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)" via "Turn Windows features on or off".
    Used Visual Studio installer from control panel which now is able to add the tools.

/André

• Proposed as answer by EEinstrVT Tuesday, April 5, 2016 8:00 PM
    Tuesday, April 5, 2016 11:18 AM
  • I have tried to check Tools 1.3 and install over and over (with/without .NET Framework 3.5 installed) but couldn't help.

My solution is;

1. Install ".NET Framework 3.5" in "Turn Windows features on or off".
    2. Copy "-prd=12514&pver=Dev14&sbp=d14rel&plcid=0x409&clcid=0x409&ar=25123.00&sar=2015u2rtw&o1=Win10_VSTools_iOOB&o2=ENU&o3=windows%5Cvstools&o4=Windows_VSTools.exe" from "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudioSecondaryInstaller\14.0\installers\Win10_VSTools_14.0.25123\en\0\" to Desktop.
    3. Rename "-prd=12514&pver=Dev14&sbp=d14rel&plcid=0x409&clcid=0x409&ar=25123.00&sar=2015u2rtw&o1=Win10_VSTools_iOOB&o2=ENU&o3=windows%5Cvstools&o4=Windows_VSTools.exe"  as "Windows_VSTools.exe" and run it.

-----

Dojun

• Proposed as answer by rython Tuesday, April 5, 2016 7:43 PM
    Tuesday, April 5, 2016 1:37 PM
  • This works for me.

My installation was interrupted and didn't finish completely. After trying to rerun Update 2, it showed that the update was already installed on my system (even though 1.3 wasn't installed) and the "Update" button at the bottom right was disabled.

Doing what DOJUN Masaki and Magellan82 wrote fixed my problem of not displaying the designer in VS or Blend.

Though interestingly, in Programs and Features, when clicking on 'Modify' for VS, it still shows 1.2 is installed not 1.3...

Much thanks to you guys!

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 4:58 PM