none
Streetside view - panning with mouse - not working, then working, then not working, now working again? RRS feed

• Question

• We have a winforms app in which we use a webbrowser control to host the Bing map control.  The html does have the <meta charset="utf-8" http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge" /> tag to force use of latest IE.  When in road/aerial view, all mouse functions work as expected.  When in streetside view, however, panning left/right or up/down with the mouse (pressing and holding left mouse button while rotating), has not worked since I started this work a few weeks back.  I had basically accepted that I had run into the limits of webbrowser control's technology and provided my own buttons that the user could click to rotate left/right (or use the arrow keys which have always worked fine).

Then a few days back I suddenly noticed that without any changes from me, mouse panning in streetside was working!!  I said bless the lord, Bing maps developers have noticed this issue and fixed it.  I hid my custom UI, even changed help verbiage to indicate mouse panning could be used.

But then two days ago, the silly thing stopped working again!!  After some hair pulling, I came across the HKCU\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_NINPUT_LEGACYMODE registry key.  When I added an entry for our app to disable this, streetside mouse panning indeed started working (though some other legacy javascript in an unrelated area in the app stopped working and would require rejigging).

I was about to go with this as our solution, have our app create the registry entry etc, when today I noticed (after I had momentarily removed the FEATURE_NINPUT_LEGACYMODE entry) that mouse panning was working again!!  To eliminate hallucinations, I completely deleted the registry entry, rebooted my machine, tested an earlier production version of our app that has none of my recent work, and as of right now, the streetside mouse panning is working.

Can anybody who travels the deep halls of Bing Maps shed some light on this, are changes being made to the control right now as we speak regarding better integration with the winforms webbrowser?  Will this mouse panning work tomorrow?  Which way should I go?

Thanks for any insights!

Wednesday, August 29, 2018 11:19 PM

Answers

• Hi StudentNumber9,

I can confirm that there has been no change to the click and drag handling within the Bing Maps V8 web control during the time period you mention.

I think this means you have answered your own question.  Configurations of the browser and the OS can radically effect how web controls work, not just the Bing Maps control but any other that gets its instructions passed to it through the Browser infrastructure.  Remember, if you are running Windows, you are receiving regular updates to your OS that can also change how the OS and drivers like Mouse and touch screens behave.  

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

• Marked as answer by StudentNumber9 Thursday, August 30, 2018 5:19 AM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2018 11:31 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi StudentNumber9,

I can confirm that there has been no change to the click and drag handling within the Bing Maps V8 web control during the time period you mention.

I think this means you have answered your own question.  Configurations of the browser and the OS can radically effect how web controls work, not just the Bing Maps control but any other that gets its instructions passed to it through the Browser infrastructure.  Remember, if you are running Windows, you are receiving regular updates to your OS that can also change how the OS and drivers like Mouse and touch screens behave.  

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

• Marked as answer by StudentNumber9 Thursday, August 30, 2018 5:19 AM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2018 11:31 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks for the confirmation, IoTGirl.  If code within Bing maps isn't changing in how it reacts to mouse events in streetside, updates to the OS seem to be cause of the shifting behavior.  You are right, I will have to simply keep an eye on it and provide other ways to do the same thing if necessary.  I also noticed the new webview desktop control for windows 10, a possibility for the future.  Also switching to CEFSharp and Chromium-based browser worked very well, though sir boss is against that.

I hope as Bing Maps control continues evolving, a small sliver of testing is thrown at the venerable webbrowser control till such times as majority of people are on windows 10.

Thanks again!

Thursday, August 30, 2018 5:33 AM
  • Hi StudentNumber9,

The control itself is unlikely to change its control portion much but it is really a portal to the Bing Maps API and we will be lighting up new features as they become available.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, August 31, 2018 4:10 PM
    Owner