Opening a Site via FTP RRS feed

• General discussion

• This feedback is about working with web sites via FTP.

In VS 2005, it's pretty horrid. Double-clicking on a file will often result in showing the file in the editor, and then immediately freezing Visual Studio for about ten minutes. And the file is only about 1K in size.

Often I'll open a site via FTP and have three dozen dialogues in a row telling me about newer files existing in one place or the other. I have to click yes or no to ALL of these dialogues before I can do anything productive. This is completely ridiculous. 

On top of that, when I want to close Visual Studio, it proceeds (once again) to give me dialog box after dialog box about newer files existing in one place or the other and asking me if I want to replace the newer one with the local version (you read that correctly). My frustration here is that fifteen minutes ago, before Visual Studio started asking me about replacing newer files on the server, I TOLD IT TO QUIT. That means SHUT DOWN. NOW.

This needs a LOT of work from a usability standpoint guys. I certainly hope you're paying attention to it for the VS2010 release. Cuz right now it's exceedingly frustrating to use for this.
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 4:29 AM

All replies

• RussNem>> I'm not sure if you use the "Copy Website" tool but if you do I understand you concern. I use it alot but it's a pain to use. The sync of the the remote and local folder is good but not when you need to go to a folder deep down in the hierarchy. I would really want a treeview of my local folders that I can expand/collapse without syncing with the remote folder, when I click a folder in the treeview it then loads the folders.

It also needs to use a backgroundthread for tranfering files so that VS doesn't freeze. If the VS team could fix those two issues for vs2010, which both should be quite easy, I would be very happy.
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 11:06 AM
  • Hi

I feel I must add to this thread, calling for the FTP client to be rewritten.

I'm looking forward to the day when I won't have to fire up Dreamweaver, with it's seemlessly integrated FTP client, when deploying ASP.NET site files. Is it really too much to ask for VS to include an upload command, available when editing a file, that just uploads the file to the configured site and the correct directory, with no fuss? I could live with a password prompt if needed, and even a vss style 'remote file is newer/different' dialog (as long as it could fire up a configurable diff utility) but the current tool is too many more clicks than firing up something else.

VS does so many thing, so well, yet usable FTP deployment has been a joke for years.

Simon
    Friday, March 20, 2009 3:41 PM