none
Inquiry about use of the near mode for Kinect cameras RRS feed

• Question

• I am an academic researcher trying to use the Kinect v2 to perform noncontact surface profilometry on newborn heads.  For this work it would be very advantageous to position the sensor less than the 0.5 m minimum limit that the system currently appears to have. Is this doable, and if so, what might the procedure for acquiring necessary firmware or other updates to enable this capability be?

Thanks for your help!

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 1:37 PM

All replies

• You can check this paper out. Phil is also a member of this forum so I hope he sees this. I think he can provide a more insightful answer.

Thursday, November 3, 2016 8:57 AM
  • Heya, without public access to the MS kinectService that returns depth <500mm you have to use libfreenect2. It's pretty straightforward to build/install now and has a good guide on the github page.

https://github.com/OpenKinect/libfreenect2

Once you have this and the protonect sample is running, you need to change the minimum depth value at line 604 of libfreenect2.cpp to something like this...

Freenect2Device::Config::Config() :
      MinDepth(0.005f),
      MaxDepth(4.5f),
      EnableBilateralFilter(true),
      EnableEdgeAwareFilter(true) {}

Now you need to filter the light output of the Kinect so the near range doesn't saturate. I use a floppy disk cut to the size of the IR laser array. The IR lens can be refocused if you are finding that you are going to close its getting blurry. Using some pliers you can carefully unscrew the IR lens from its housing and it will focus at closer objects. Once you do this you will have to recalibrate and tell libfreenect2 that you have new IR camera parameters.

Send me an email at 'p dot noonan at imperial dot ac dot uk' if you would like to know more.

Friday, November 4, 2016 10:03 AM
  • We really need sticky threads....
    Friday, November 4, 2016 10:59 AM
  • Yep :)
    Friday, November 4, 2016 11:17 AM