visual studio installation splash screen starts then goes away RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having two issues; of which, both are the same...

I have VS2013 Update 3.

When I try and start the Update 4 package, the splash screen starts, then immediately goes away.

I'm having a similar version with trying to install the initial version of VS2012 (since 2013 is incompatible with BizTalk unless I have BizTalk, Update 2).

This is on a Windows 7 64-bit PC.

In addition, any Microsoft installation fails to run the installation set up. The same thing happens. A splash screen starts, then immediately stops. Weather it be a full blown installation or a service pack update.

I'm able to install any other kind of software from any other company on my PC.

I have tried everything I know and read everything I can on it. I have and HP EliteBook Folio 9470m Ultrabook. I have updated the video driver; downloaded and saved the files to try and run from them; tried downloading and extracting ISO files from MSDN.

Nothing works!

Can somebody please help me be able to install versions of Visual Studio?

Note that I can install other software programs with no problem. It's just Visual Studio that is giving me the problem.

I can also download Nuget extensions and have them installed as well without any issues.

It's just the actual Visual Studio application download or Update version of that application that can't be started....

Bill Yeager

• Edited by Bill_Yeager Thursday, February 5, 2015 2:18 PM
    Tuesday, February 3, 2015 9:42 PM

Answers

• I've solved the situation by blowing away all the .Net framework installations and reinstalling them again.

Bill Yeager

• Marked as answer by Barry Wang Sunday, February 15, 2015 2:04 AM
    Saturday, February 14, 2015 3:03 PM

All replies

• Disregard what I wrote previously.

Whatever you do I would create a restore point before continuing.

Installing Visual Studio

La vida loca

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 10:19 PM
  • Hello Bill,

Please do the following:

1. Check your iso by refer to here:

http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/visual-studio-2013-iso-sha1-vs

2. Refer to this blog http://blogs.msdn.com/b/heaths/archive/2008/05/09/visual-studio-and-net-log-collection-utility.aspx to send us the log file we need(vslogs.cab)

We need more info in order to help you for this issue.

Best regards,

Barry
    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 9:57 AM
  • Barry, I collected all the necessary info through the tool and have uploaded it to the following link:

https://connect.microsoft.com/FileAttachments/Default.aspx?FeedbackID=1115345&SiteID=210&RadUrid=9f78bdfb-3a42-4e68-9eb2-b389a546d0aa

Please let me know the progress of the issue since I am "dead in the water".

Bill Yeager

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 4:06 PM
  • Hello Bill,

The link your pasted is not the vslogs.cab file that I needed. Could you upload the file to skydrive and let me see details?

Best regards,

Barry
    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, February 5, 2015 10:24 AM
  • Barry, inside the attached CollectInfo.zip file, it contains the below three files:

• Bundles.txt
    • MsiInv.txt
    • vslogs.cab

This is the link:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/1115345/splash-screen-installation-starts-then-stops-for-visual-studio

Barry, fyi, any Microsoft installation fails to run the installation set up. The same thing happens. A splash screen starts, then immediately stops. Weather it be a full blown installation or a service pack update.

I'm able to install any other kind of software from any other company on my PC.

Please let me know the status ASAP.

Thanks a lot,

Bill...

Bill Yeager

• Edited by Bill_Yeager Thursday, February 5, 2015 2:19 PM
    Thursday, February 5, 2015 2:03 PM
  • Barry, did you get a chance to take a look at the information in the files yet?

Bill Yeager

Saturday, February 7, 2015 4:18 PM
  • Hi Bill,

I've received your logs and analyzed it then find the following:

Error 0x80131902: Failed to run per-user mode.

Please see the solution from here:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/1220584d-2576-4d64-8359-a946ca208041/cant-install-vs-2012-on-win7-enterprise?forum=vssetup

The problem is either related to your .NET Framework or your Windows Updates, please try my solution there and also try Heath's solution and check whether you can fix this issue.

Best regards,

Barry

Monday, February 9, 2015 9:15 AM
  • Barry, thanks for the help, but after following instructions, it still did not help.

My .Net version 4.5.1 & 3.5 frameworks verified successfully.

I have the latest graphics driver.

I reinstalled the 4.5.1 version of the framework.

My next step unless you can recommend otherwise is to download all important Windows updates. I do not have admin rights at my job to install any Windows Updates, so I need to contact internal support for them to do so.

Bill Yeager

Monday, February 9, 2015 4:22 PM
  • @Bill,

I guess Windows Updates is related to this issue. Each time when customers meet installation problems, I will recommend them turn off Anti-virus software and install all Windows Updates. Let's see the result after you installed all updates.

Best regards,

Barry

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 6:47 AM
  • Barry, unfortunately, the Windows Updates did not help...

It all has to do with the

Bill Yeager

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 12:35 AM
  • MMC SnapIn failing. I see this message all over the web with no specific way to solve the issue.

Surely, MS must have a specific solution somewhere that would solve the issue.

Bill Yeager

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 12:36 AM
  • Hello Bill,

At this time I'm also not sure of the problem based on your side. According to Heath's post, your .NET Framework could not be loaded (more specifically, an AppDomain could not be created). However you seems your .NET 4.5.1 doesnot have problem.

I'm trying to think about the following workarounds and you may have a test:

1. Are you able to create a new user account?

You can try the solution from this post:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/9c92120f-c7df-4088-b0f2-0b4686b33a96/visual-studio-2012-wont-install?forum=vssetup

2. You can also try disable both .NET 3.5 and .NET 4.5 on your machine. Then check the result

3. You can use sfc /scannow to scan your OS to search for any possible problems. Then restart the install process.

Best regards,

Barry

Thursday, February 12, 2015 8:45 AM
  • I've solved the situation by blowing away all the .Net framework installations and reinstalling them again.

Bill Yeager

• Marked as answer by Barry Wang Sunday, February 15, 2015 2:04 AM
    Saturday, February 14, 2015 3:03 PM
  • Thank you for share the result back, Bill, your result help us confirm that the problem is pending on .NET Framework itself.

Best regards,

Barry

Sunday, February 15, 2015 2:04 AM