none
intellisense RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to migrate an application to .Net using C++/CLI , but to no avail. First when using vse2010 I am allowed to create a GUI for my App using FORMS, but with no intellisense, disappointment!!! After I tried 2012/13, there is intellisense, but I am not allowed to create a GUI for my app using FORMS, more disappointment!!! What a joke this .Net is, Microsoft first tells us that .Net works with C++, but having the tools to make the transition easier, it hides the tools or just make it virtually impossible to port C++ applications to .Net.

To every programmer with extensive experience in the I.T. industry I say... We have had encountered GUI toolkits that were dropped by big companies like Microsoft, .Net will not be the exception.

To the new I.T. developers I say... If you think that because a monster company like Microsoft is backing up this toolkit it will not be dropped, well... let me give you a bit of info, we, the more experienced programmers, also thought that a monster company like Borland would never drop its brilliant GUI toolkit named Object Windows Library, when at the time OWL was said to be, and commonly used as a preferred replacement for MFC. In fact, MFC was detested by all developers. Needless to say, the monster company dropped the toolkit in favour of Delphi; and who the hell uses Delphi now a day!? Borland went down and with it millions of code written in OWL and some idiot who adopted Delphi also went down with it.

Who ever puts all his/her eggs in .Net will go down with it when Microsoft realizes that .Net has been rejected for lack of feasibility.

Good bye .Net, there is Java, JavaScript and Python, toolkits that do not make deceiving promises to their users. And for truly portable C++ GUI applications there is GTK and gtkmm or better yet the monster Qt GUI toolkit.

In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it.

• Edited by ArbolOne Sunday, August 11, 2013 4:11 AM
    Sunday, August 11, 2013 4:05 AM

Answers

• Hi ArbolOne,

Firstly, I am very sorry about the issue you get. And I can reproduce the intellisense issue in my VS2010, thank you for reporting it. I have submit this issue on the Microsoft connect site here: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/797966/intellisense-does-not-work-in-vs2010-c-projects I will track it, and update the information here.

In addition, although with above issue, VS provides powerful features and functions on developing C++ projects. If you have other issues when work with C++ projects in Visual Studio, please post here, as your suggestions are very valuable, we are always licensing. Thank you again.

For your another issue about uninstall VCE, do you mean you want to install VS? If so, for VS2010, you can completely uninstall it with VS2010 Uninstall Utility. This tool can uninstall all VS components, including .NET 4.0. However there is no such tool for VS2012 or VS2013, you have to uninstall manually.

Sorry again for the inconvenience. 

Have a nice day.

<font color="0099FF">&lt;THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED &quot;AS IS&quot; WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED&gt;</font><br/> Thanks<br/> MSDN Community Support<br/> <br/> Please remember to &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 5:57 AM

All replies

• I think you are allowed to create a GUI for your App using Forms when using VS2010. So I think you can create a GUI for your App using Forms when using VS2012/2013.
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 1:15 AM
  • Hi ArbolOne,

I find I can create a Windows Form in C++/CLI from VS2012

Here are my steps to reproduce this issue:

1.  In VS2010, I can create a WinForm project from File->New Project-> VC++->Windows Form Application Visual C++ -> CLR -> Add New Item -> UI -> Windows Form

2.  In VS2012, I can add winform by following these steps: File->New Project-> VC++->Empty Project Add new Item to create a Form.

What’s more, I can reproduce this IntelliSense issue, VS2010 do not have it and VS2012 have.

What do you mean of the following : “but I am not allowed to create a GUI for my app using FORMS, more disappointment!!! “

Do you mean you cannot build Winform project in VS2012? Please share more details for me so that I can fully reproduce this issue. If your problem is pending on Visual Studio, I will help you submit a connect case https://connect.microsoft.com/ to report this issue.

Best Regards.

Samson sun
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 3:12 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

In the words of Bill Gates, 'I will always choose a Lazy Person to do a difficult job... Because, he will find an easy way to do it. ". One of the trades of Software developer is laziness. We don't like rewriting code, so we use templates whenever possible. We don't like complicated applications, thus so many choose one IDEs over another. A good example of this is Code::Blocks vs. Visual Studio; even though C::B is a lesser IDE, its simplicity (simplex really) makes it more appealing to programmers than VS.

Simplicity is the key word here, and as such, the solution you found is much too much complicated. I found another solution and would like to share it with you. Have a look at this sequence of commands to use "FORMS".
    File > New > VCL Forms Application - C++Builder
    That's it!!

Yes you are right, that is not VS2012. Does VS2012 have this? No!? Well then, like must developers I would go with the simplicity of C++Builder instead of the complexity provided by Microsoft Visual Studio.

Again.. thank you for your help

In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 6:53 PM
  • Yaaa, right... No, that is only on YOUR version of VS2012, mine does not have that feature.

Thanks anyway.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 6:57 PM
  • One more question, how do I remove MS-VCE2012/2013 and 2010 from my computer without having to do it manually i.e. one MS-Application at the time. Is there an uninstaller that will *completely remove these IDEs and all the accompanying applications that come with them? (more like, apps that are forced on us when installing the IDEs)

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 7:03 PM
  • Hi ArbolOne,

Firstly, I am very sorry about the issue you get. And I can reproduce the intellisense issue in my VS2010, thank you for reporting it. I have submit this issue on the Microsoft connect site here: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/797966/intellisense-does-not-work-in-vs2010-c-projects I will track it, and update the information here.

In addition, although with above issue, VS provides powerful features and functions on developing C++ projects. If you have other issues when work with C++ projects in Visual Studio, please post here, as your suggestions are very valuable, we are always licensing. Thank you again.

For your another issue about uninstall VCE, do you mean you want to install VS? If so, for VS2010, you can completely uninstall it with VS2010 Uninstall Utility. This tool can uninstall all VS components, including .NET 4.0. However there is no such tool for VS2012 or VS2013, you have to uninstall manually.

Sorry again for the inconvenience. 

Have a nice day.

<font color="0099FF">&lt;THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED &quot;AS IS&quot; WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED&gt;</font><br/> Thanks<br/> MSDN Community Support<br/> <br/> Please remember to &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 5:57 AM