none
Cannot start instance of newly created host RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a severe problem with my BizTalk 2006 hosts and host instances.  If a host instance stops it cannot be started again.  The error is "The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion." (WinMgmt).

If I create a new host, then create a new instance of that host, and then attempt to start it.  I get the same error.  The User under which I'm running is an Administrator on the server and is a member of the BizTalk Admin group

Attempting to restart the Service in Services in the MMC gets the same error message:

Services

Could not start the BizTalk Service BizTalk Group: [Host Name] service on the Local Computer.

Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

We have rebooted the server.

I assume that this is a problem with the BizTalk databases in SQL Server (2005), which is running on the same server.  Is there a way to resolve this? 

Friday, September 14, 2007 3:39 PM

Answers

• Do you have MSMQ installed on the box?

If so:

After you receive this error message, the service for the BizTalk host instance is stopped. However, the SC tool may need two minutes or more to shut down the service.

This problem occurs when a Microsoft Message Queuing receive location is enabled in BizTalk Server 2006.

Additionally, an error message that resembles the following may be logged in the System log:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7011
    Description:
    Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the BTSSvc$BizTalkServerApplication service.

You should take a look at the following KB.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928222

As a siden note, there are multiple event that causes the same syndrome. If this is not applicable to your case, can you give some more info about your BTS config?

I hope, it helps.

Friday, September 14, 2007 6:08 PM

All replies

• Do you have MSMQ installed on the box?

If so:

After you receive this error message, the service for the BizTalk host instance is stopped. However, the SC tool may need two minutes or more to shut down the service.

This problem occurs when a Microsoft Message Queuing receive location is enabled in BizTalk Server 2006.

Additionally, an error message that resembles the following may be logged in the System log:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7011
    Description:
    Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the BTSSvc$BizTalkServerApplication service.

You should take a look at the following KB.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928222

As a siden note, there are multiple event that causes the same syndrome. If this is not applicable to your case, can you give some more info about your BTS config?

I hope, it helps.

Friday, September 14, 2007 6:08 PM
  • Hi there 

I guess this problem would have been resolved by now since its been a long time. 

I just wanted to point out that I'd faced similar issue with one of our Host Instances.  I was able to Start and Stop the Host Instances ( and also Restart ) through the BizTalk Admin Console.  However, I did not see an entry in the Event Log about the Stop & Start of the Host Instance.

Tried stopping the Host Instance in the Services MMC and found out that I was getting the "Error 1053 :the service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion" while stopping the Host Instance( I was able to START without a problem, but no entry in the Event Log).   There was an error in the SYSTEM Log " Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the BTSSvc$BizTalkServerApplication service."

The best thing to do is

1) Close all MMC's like EventLog, Service except the BizTalk Admin Console.

2) remove the Host Instance 

3) Re-create the Host Instance

Things to note are : while creating the host instance please close all the MMC's like Event Log, Service MMC etc.  

Another Interesting thing I noted was 

If you have a receive location( using the WCF-SQL adapter) with bad configuration data the  host instance will start , but not do anything and will not create an entry in the event log.  If you have that receive location disabled, everything works fine.   

I hope this helps. 

Thanks 

Roopesh 

Thanks & Regards,
    Roopesh Varma

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” or "Vote As Helpful" on the post that helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, February 7, 2014 2:05 PM