Which free test framework is the best for testing a C#.NET based application by running it from .NET and record actions through point and click? RRS feed

• Question

• I am testing a C#.NET based purely desktop application.

I would like to do testing such that:

- I can run the C#.NET desktop application from .NET framework.

- I should have some recording tool that I point and click on my application and it records the actions and generates code in C#.

- I can then of course add more logic to that code. Is there any framework like this?

I am trying: - WinAppDriver with Inspect and its own WinAppDriver UI Recorder.

How I can integrate this setup with my solution in .NET Framework?

Thanks for replying.

Thursday, January 16, 2020 7:13 AM

All replies

• Hi EagerToLearn20,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Since CUIT will be deprecated in the future, the WinAppDriver is our recommended tool. It could meet your requirement and could work withdes UWP and .NET framework. 

And about integrating your solution, you could copy all installation files into your solution path, then use this code to run it before starting test:

public static void Setup(TestContext context)
            {
                Process.Start(@"..\..\WindowsApplicationDriver\WinAppDriver.exe");
                // Launch Calculator application if it is not yet launched
                if (session == null)
                {
                }
            }

Any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, January 17, 2020 4:08 AM
  • Great. Thank you Dylan. I will try it and let you know here. :)

Thanks again

Friday, January 17, 2020 2:51 PM