none
Trouble installing Vista-Buttons Menu Add-in for Expression Web RRS feed

• Question

• I have down loaded this program but it does not appear in the add-ins area and it will not run from its icon.

When I right click to get in to the propeties the Run as Admin is grayed out. I have tried averthing I can think of.

I am the admin. The User account control is turned off. Can anybody who has had success with this walk me through?

I AM RUNNING VISTA OS - Expression Web 3

thanks

Sunday, May 23, 2010 6:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• Are you sure the addin is compatible with EW?

EW3 uses windows presentation foundation and the toolbars are not customizable.

Expression Web MVP
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 6:43 PM
  • Seems like that's an old program that worked in FP and in the first 2 versions of EW. They are vague about it, but if that's the case, it's not going to work in EW3 due to the new code base.

In their Help section it says, "Vista Buttons wasn't developed as Frontpage extension, BUT you can use it as standard Javascript files." That seems to imply that it can work as a stand-alone application. Have you tried installing it as such?

Of course, those buttons won't work if the visitor has Javascript turned off (admittedly a small percentage).

I'd just use one of the many great CSS menus (and menu generators) that are available.

I dream of a better world...a world in which a chicken can cross the road without its motives being questioned.
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 9:12 PM
  • Is it one you have to pay for? I downloaded another add in only to find (eventually) that you need to pay for it, it wasn't at all obvious, not the cleverest bit of site design I'm afraid.

Justin.
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 9:30 PM
  • Bill - I think you are right - that it will not work on EW3.

Which of the css menus can make nice fancy menus as an addin?

I don't want to make it seperate and do all of the file copy and such.

Triplemanr - I did not there were any good free ones.

Are there?

thanks

Sunday, May 23, 2010 10:51 PM
  • Seriously? You can't even bother copying and pasting? Well, you'd have been screwed if Vista Buttons had installed then. From their Help file (after you make the Vista Buttons):

"Open the generated in Vista Buttons page in any text editor. Copy all code within the following tags:
          <!-- Begin Vista-Buttons.com -->        ...      <!-- End Vista-Buttons.com -->
    - In the Design mode decide where you would like the dropdown menu to appear in your page....switch to HTML View.
    - Go to the "Edit Menu" and select the "Paste" option to paste the menu code that we copied to the clipboard earlier."

Come on. If you want to do web design you have to do some work (and copying and pasting isn't the most taxing of endeavors). Sheesh.

Google CSS menu builder. You can peruse the dozens out there that suit you. Personally, I don't look for fancy menus; menus are a utility that shouldn't draw attention to themselves, IMHO, so I wouldn't be in a position to recommend such. But I think you're screwed in any eventuality, because I don't think there are any yet that plug in to EW3. You'll have to use a stand-alone program and copy and paste (even with an add-in you'd probably have to copy and paste).

I dream of a better world...a world in which a chicken can cross the road without its motives being questioned.
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 11:06 PM
  • Seriously? You can't even be polite?
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 11:59 PM
  • Well what is the point of saying you don't want to copy and paste? And you don't want something separate?

You bought Expression Web, a professional program that builds standards-compliant websites, whose only competitor is Dreamweaver, and you can't even be bothered to copy and paste. It's not some point and click WYSIWYG web builder. You essentially told us "I want help, but I don't want to do any work." This is the big leagues, and after making a weird statement like that you're surprised that somebody makes a little fun of it?

Monday, May 24, 2010 12:55 AM
  • I guess you can't be polite. 
    Monday, May 24, 2010 1:56 AM
  • Vista Buttons installs as a standalone. That way you can continue to use it regardless of what version of EW you have.

Given the poorly documented and changes required for each version of EW you should be glad they provide an alternative way to use the application. If you don't like the alternative method provided for v3 then perhaps you should consider finding another add-in. Personally I find it pretty generous that they give you alternatives.

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com
    Monday, May 24, 2010 2:38 AM
  • Vista-Buttons looked attractive.

However, it would not run on my computer even as a stand alone.

I've written their support, we will see what happens.

Thank you.

Monday, May 24, 2010 3:11 AM