Bug in Visual Studio 2013: Changing IntermediateOutputPath breaks intellisense

Question

• I'm pretty sure this is a bug, and I would to report it as such, but apparently I am "not authorized to submit feedback".

My solution is configured so that all generated output is placed in a single build directory. So in my .csproj file, I have configured <IntermediateOutputPath> so that it creates the obj\ directory in that build directory. This works well, except that now when I add controls to a xaml page with x:Name, they don't show up in Intellisense in the c# code behind. (Things compile ok though.)

Is there something else I should do in order to get this to work? If not, how do I properly report this?

(I'm using VS2013 Update 3)

Thanks,

Chris

• Edited by cjhardy Thursday, October 09, 2014 4:37 PM
    Thursday, October 09, 2014 4:28 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I can see the same scenario with you when using your project from OneDrive. I try to modify the csproj file as the following and then it worked. So I don’t think this is a bug, can you try it and let me know the result. Note I am not familiar with MSBuild, if you want to know more details about MSBuild, I would recommend you open thread on MSBuild forum.

<PropertyGroup>
        <Configuration Condition=" '$(Configuration)' == '' ">Debug</Configuration>
        <Platform Condition=" '$(Platform)' == '' ">AnyCPU</Platform>
        <ProjectGuid>{6bc2f900-6066-4cde-9be4-83b4228431c1}</ProjectGuid>
        <OutputType>AppContainerExe</OutputType>
        <AppDesignerFolder>Properties</AppDesignerFolder>
        <RootNamespace>App3</RootNamespace>
        <AssemblyName>App3</AssemblyName>
        <DefaultLanguage>en-US</DefaultLanguage>
        <TargetPlatformVersion>8.1</TargetPlatformVersion>
        <MinimumVisualStudioVersion>12</MinimumVisualStudioVersion>
        <FileAlignment>512</FileAlignment>
        <ProjectTypeGuids>{BC8A1FFA-BEE3-4634-8014-F334798102B3};{FAE04EC0-301F-11D3-BF4B-00C04F79EFBC}</ProjectTypeGuids>
        <PackageCertificateKeyFile>App3_TemporaryKey.pfx</PackageCertificateKeyFile>
    <BaseIntermediateOutputPath>..\Output\Debug_AnyCPU</BaseIntermediateOutputPath>
        <IntermediateOutputPath>$(BaseIntermediateOutputPath)</IntermediateOutputPath>
      </PropertyGroup>

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, October 16, 2014 5:38 AM

All replies

• Hi Chris,

I cannot repro your issue. You can see my repro steps in the following image.

Modify in csproj file.

Create a button with x:Name property.

After rebuild the project, I can see this in itntellisense.

see the third image in next post.

If the problem persists, can you send me your repro project? Use your OneDrive and share a link here.

If you still consider this is a “Bug”, I would recommend you post new thread on Microsoft Connect to report this.

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, October 10, 2014 9:50 AM

• We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, October 10, 2014 9:51 AM
  • Hi Herro, thank you for taking a look at this.

The problem definitely happens for me still; I can reproduce it using the Visual C#/Store Apps/Blank App (Windows) project.

When I do not have <IntermediateOutputPath> set, I will immediately see controls show up in codebehind Intellisense. I don't even need to save the .xaml file.

Once I have configured <IntermediateOutputPath>, if I go to the XAML file and add a named control or edit the name of an existing control, then it will not show up in Intellisense. Even rebuilding the project does not help.

Here's my sample project:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=30ED5BED476DD1EC!2003&authkey=!APtmkJVp6OSrAlo&ithint=file%2czip

Best,

Chris

• Edited by cjhardy Friday, October 10, 2014 3:56 PM
    Friday, October 10, 2014 3:55 PM
  • FYI:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/1001105

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 5:28 PM
  • Hello,

I can see the same scenario with you when using your project from OneDrive. I try to modify the csproj file as the following and then it worked. So I don’t think this is a bug, can you try it and let me know the result. Note I am not familiar with MSBuild, if you want to know more details about MSBuild, I would recommend you open thread on MSBuild forum.

<PropertyGroup>
        <Configuration Condition=" '$(Configuration)' == '' ">Debug</Configuration>
        <Platform Condition=" '$(Platform)' == '' ">AnyCPU</Platform>
        <ProjectGuid>{6bc2f900-6066-4cde-9be4-83b4228431c1}</ProjectGuid>
        <OutputType>AppContainerExe</OutputType>
        <AppDesignerFolder>Properties</AppDesignerFolder>
        <RootNamespace>App3</RootNamespace>
        <AssemblyName>App3</AssemblyName>
        <DefaultLanguage>en-US</DefaultLanguage>
        <TargetPlatformVersion>8.1</TargetPlatformVersion>
        <MinimumVisualStudioVersion>12</MinimumVisualStudioVersion>
        <FileAlignment>512</FileAlignment>
        <ProjectTypeGuids>{BC8A1FFA-BEE3-4634-8014-F334798102B3};{FAE04EC0-301F-11D3-BF4B-00C04F79EFBC}</ProjectTypeGuids>
        <PackageCertificateKeyFile>App3_TemporaryKey.pfx</PackageCertificateKeyFile>
    <BaseIntermediateOutputPath>..\Output\Debug_AnyCPU</BaseIntermediateOutputPath>
        <IntermediateOutputPath>$(BaseIntermediateOutputPath)</IntermediateOutputPath>
      </PropertyGroup>

Regards,

Thursday, October 16, 2014 5:38 AM