Blend 3 Project - No design view when opened in VS2008 RRS feed

• Question

• I created a simple project in blend 3 and now want to open it in VS2008SP1. I am able to open the project, but when I open the xaml page from the solution explorer it only gives me the xaml code viewer. The design viewer does not open. Is this a problem in my blend project or an issue with VS2008?
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 7:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,
                 Can you please send me some more information and I should be able to help you:

1. What type of project is this? WPF / Silverlight?
    2. Is this a C# project or VB?
    3. If possible can you send me the project file (.csproj or .vbproj) at navits@microsoft.com?

Regards,
    Navit Saxena
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 9:15 PM
  • Hello,

It is a Silverlight 3 application project in C#. Will send the project file shortly.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 9:26 PM
  • Hi James,
                     The project file looks good and you should be able to see the designer view in VS. What happens when you click on “Preview” tab in VS? Does design surface show an errors?

Note: The preview tab is located at the bottom left in VS

Regards,
    Navit Saxena
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 11:04 PM
  • Thursday, October 1, 2009 4:44 AM
  • Navit and Stef,

Thank you both for your help.

Stef, thank you fo the link. It appears to be an issue with VS2008 or the SL3 tools. The method in the weblog works for getting the design view back, but if I close then reopen the page the design view goes away. I run through the same proceedure and get the view window back, but it is blank (empty grey view). I have to completely close VS2008, restart it, then reopen the project, reopen the xaml page, then readjust the window split to get the view back.

What a pain, but better then working blind.

Can you say 'VS2008 Hotfix'. :)

Update: One additional note, this work around only gets you the 'Preview' tab, it does not get you the 'Design View'. So you are still stuck with only being able to make modifications in the code, no 'visual' development for the xaml. It is a bit painful having to switch back to Blend3 for a minor change/addition.
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 2:00 PM