none
Agent Deploy on Azure

Question

• Hi Experts,

I have a use case of agent deployment on Azure that I could not find an answer yet. I want to use a native and "free" tool (Could be open source) based on Azure technology to implement agents(remotely) based on events, for instance:

- As soon as I detect that a new instance is live (Windows or Linux), I can execute remotely a shell script or Powershell script to install agents on these machines, on the fly.

I know that I can use solutions such as Chef, Puppet, System Center and so on, but I was wondering if there is nothing free and/or Open Source that I can use, embedded on Azure cloud. Something for example based on Azure monitor logs I can execute an action.

I also know that we can use Azure extensions, on the moment that we create machines or gold image, but both options will not be 100% automatize as the use case below.

This use case is very useful for dynamic/autoscaling environments, specially for kubernetes and docker environments.

Any ideas?

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 4:11 PM

All replies

• It doesn't sound like this specific question is directly related to Cloud Services. However I am still happy to try and help. Can you elaborate on what you mean by Agent deploy? I am not fully understanding what you are trying to accomplish. 

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 6:03 PM
  • Hi Micah,

Thanks!

Actually could be any agent: Security agent, backup agent, compliance agent and so on..

The idea is to have a script, for example a shell script, that will be executed if we detect that there is a new instance that just started (Using Azure Monitor for example) on the environment and does not have the agent yet.

In case of a backup agent, we can detect if there is a new machine, check if it has the agent installed, if not, install on the fly on this machine and activate policies for the backup automatically. Everything will be made on a single shell script.

Something agnostic from the Operation System pespective
    Wednesday, May 15, 2019 5:38 AM
  • Got it. Thank you for that. 

You could look into Azure Automation and Update Management

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/automation/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/automation/automation-update-management

And as you mentioned, there are other services out there such as chef and puppet that work well but they are also not free. 

Plus, Automation is free up to a point. Which may be all that you need

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 7:42 PM
  • Any update on this issue? 

If a suggested answer was helpful, remember to up-vote and "Mark as Answer" so other community members can easily find it.

Friday, May 17, 2019 8:17 PM