.NET: AssemblyVersion vs. AssemblyFileVersion in WER? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have an assembly where the AssemblyVersion and the AssemblyFileVersion are different, e.g.:

[assembly: AssemblyVersion("1.2.7.0")]
    [assembly: AssemblyFileVersion("2.8.0.0")]

When creating a mapping file using Product Feedback Mapping Tool, I only see the AssemblyFileVersion versions (e.g. 2.8.0.0) in the mapping file, no sign of the AssemblyVersion (e.g. 1.2.7.0).

Snippet from the generated mapping file:

<MATCHING_FILE NAME="BK.ENM.EvaluateWer.Client.exe"
                       BIN_FILE_VERSION="2.8.0.0" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="2.8.0.0"
                       PRODUCT_VERSION="2.8.0.0"
                       PRODUCT_NAME="BK.ENM.EvaluateWer.Client" FILE_VERSION="2.8.0.0"
                       UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="2.8.0.0"
                       UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="2.8.0.0"
                       UNMAPPED="FALSE"/>

When crashing my application and looking at the report in Problem Reports and Solutions, I only see the AssemblyVersion (e.g. 1.2.7.0) in the report. When monitoring network traffic when sending the report to Microsoft I also only see AssemblyVersion (e.g. 1.2.7.0).

The URL as it looks when sending the report containing the 1.2.7.0 version number:

http://watson.microsoft.com/StageOne/Generic/CLR20r3/bk_enm_evaluatewer _client_exe/1_2_7_0/48fe1ede/BK_ENM_SomeLibrary/1_7_2_0/48fe1ede/3/a/ 314WNAJ5ISRISOEGCAJ0K2FYJ3UPSL0Z.htm?LCID=1030& OS=6.0.6001.2.00030110.1.0.7.18000&SR6=0&SR5=0&SR4=0&SR3=0&SR2=1&SR1=3

How can WER match a submitted report with an uploaded product mapping when the report and product mapping contains different version number?

It was my understanding that the version number was part of the key used to match reports with products/customers?

I am of cause asking because my reports are not turning up on the winqual site.

/Christian

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:57 PM forum consolidation (From:Windows Error Reporting for ISVs)
    Friday, October 24, 2008 8:54 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This is a known problem with the mapping tool, it does not create the right matching information for managed code. Please send your binary information to wer@microsoft.com and someone will assist you.

Thanks

Monday, November 24, 2008 12:16 AM