storage location on cloud RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm hired to develop an application on cloud for the Canadian insurance industry. In Canada, the insurance privacy policy requires that the the storage location should be known at any time. Is there any way to track where the files are being stored in Azure.  

Thursday, September 23, 2010 6:16 PM

Answers

• As for server specific infomration, that is not currently available. Part of the point of cloud computing and especially PaaS is to remove those concerns. If you need that information for various industry/regulatory compliance audiance, I'd recommend working your local MSFT sales associate to explore getting a business association agreement in place that may address your specific needs.
    • Marked as answer by Mog Liang Friday, October 1, 2010 7:43 AM
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 10:50 PM

All replies

• When you deploy into the Windows Azure cloud, you select a datacenter to deploy the application/data into. It will remain in that datacenter.
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 6:19 PM
  • Thanks Brent...

We would require a bit more specific locations. Is that possible? What we require is a stats report on the specific server it is stored. Like protection, attacks, and other security stats info.

Anything more than the datacenter location would help.

• Edited by sivamdavid Thursday, September 23, 2010 7:14 PM
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 6:29 PM
  • As Brent said above, you can pick one of the available data centers. As of now there are 5 data centers: 2 in the US (Chicago and San Antonio), 2 in Europe (Amsterdam and Dublin) and 1 in Asia (Hong Kong). You would need to pick one from them to host your applications.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Gaurav Mantri

Cerebrata Software

http://www.cerebrata.com

Thursday, September 23, 2010 6:51 PM
  • As for server specific infomration, that is not currently available. Part of the point of cloud computing and especially PaaS is to remove those concerns. If you need that information for various industry/regulatory compliance audiance, I'd recommend working your local MSFT sales associate to explore getting a business association agreement in place that may address your specific needs.
    • Marked as answer by Mog Liang Friday, October 1, 2010 7:43 AM
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 10:50 PM
  •  
    "sivamdavid" wrote in message news:fdffbb99-0128-48b1-ad6b-191b8d39464b...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm hired to develop an application on cloud for the Canadian insurance
    > industry. In Canada, the insurance privacy policy requires that the the
    > storage location should be known at any time. Is there any way to track
    > where the files are being stored in Azure.
    >

If you are using SQL Azure for data storage, the database may be replicated
    to other data centres worldwide as far as I understand it.

Regards, Paul.
    Friday, September 24, 2010 1:12 PM
  • Actually Paul, the copies are only kept in the same data center. if you need a "smoking hole" disaster recovery plan, you have to accomodate for that yourself.
    Friday, September 24, 2010 1:32 PM
  •  
    "BrentDaCodeMonkey" wrote in message
    news:2ad49e09-6e66-4fb5-b108-7910f0d0306d...
    > Actually Paul, the copies are only kept in the same data center. if you
    > need a "smoking hole" disaster recovery plan, you have to accomodate for
    > that yourself.

OK, thanks for the info. I had been reading here

http://www.azuresupport.com/2009/12/backup-and-disaster-recovery-protection-on-azure-faq/

and it appeared this was included 'out of the box'.

I admit I am only just getting started with Azure and how it works.

Regards, Paul.
    Friday, September 24, 2010 1:42 PM
  • yeah, i've asked this question of several folks inside Microsoft and the answer has always been that you need to plan your own disaster recovery. plan. :P Confusing I know.
    Friday, September 24, 2010 4:15 PM