Getting Started Blog sample fails

Question

• The getting started blog sample fails at FeedData.cs line 174. So, MS publishes a sample that doesn't actually work!

var matches = _feedDataSource.Feeds.Where((feed) => feed.Title.Equals(title));

I have tried the download from VS 2012 > Help > Samples > "Getting Started with C# and Visual Basic: Hello World and Blog reader sample", as well as the complete C# samples pack from the code.msdn Windows 8 app samples download page.  I tried the sample code with VS 2012 Express and with VS 2012 Premium. Both fail at the same line.

The error message is:

An exception of type 'System.NullReferenceException' occurred in WindowsBlogReader.exe but was not handled in user code

Additional information: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

If there is a handler for this exception, the program may be safely continued."

Thursday, November 22, 2012 12:57 AM

Answers

• Suppressing the feed1 reference @ line 104 will make it run:

// this.Feeds.Add(await feed1);

• Marked as answer by Mark J Means Saturday, November 24, 2012 12:56 AM
    Thursday, November 22, 2012 7:17 AM

All replies

• Suppressing the feed1 reference @ line 104 will make it run:

// this.Feeds.Add(await feed1);

• Marked as answer by Mark J Means Saturday, November 24, 2012 12:56 AM
    Thursday, November 22, 2012 7:17 AM
  • check to see if feed is null

var matches = _feedDataSource.Feeds.Where((feed) =>feed!=null && feed.Title.Equals(title));

so any null feed will be ignored

• Proposed as answer by cordova_dev Friday, January 30, 2015 8:30 AM
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:31 PM
  • For the past few days, i was working on another app: Channel9 Blog Reader.
    It's same as the Windows 8 Blog Reader, the main difference being the feed links changed from "windowsteamblog.com" or "blogs.windows.com" to "channel9.msdn.com".

And also there are a couple of minor changes as it is a Windows 8.1 app & not Windows 8 app, so it will be better if u read this article about migrating a Windows 8 app to Windows 8.1 app :-
    Migrating a Win 8 app to Win 8.1 app

Here is the link to the source code of the app :-

Channel9 Blog Reader App source code

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 8:12 AM