none
ewfmgr: Failed getting protected volume configuration with error 1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I created a Windows 7-64 image for an Ivy-Bridge VME card. The image contains EWF with RAM-REG.

The disk was divided into 2 partitions with the windows installer and the image was successfully installed.

As I'm using RAM-REG, all the disk was allocated.  

After the image was installed I tried to run "ewfmgr c:" and got the current status.

Then I created a GHOST image and wrote the image on a new card with a clean disk.

After Windows booted, running "ewfmgr c:" gave:

Failed getting protected volume configuration with error 1

I found few threads on this issue but failed to understand what is the right solution.

Can you help ?

Thanks,

Zvika  

Sunday, September 22, 2013 6:41 PM

All replies

• You need to run sysprep before you capture the image.

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Sunday, September 22, 2013 8:30 PM
  • I found some information that may help.

EMF is not configured correctly.

1. Distribute Disk Image
    2. Run the following script after distribution of image
    bcdedit /store c:\boot\BCD /set {BOOTMGR.EN_US} device boot
    bcdedit /store c:\boot\BCD /set {DEFAULT.EN_US} device PARTITION=C:
    bcdedit /store c:\boot\BCD /set {DEFAULT.EN_US} osdevice PARTITION=C:
    3. Run the following script ewfcfg /install-configuration

4. Reboot the Client

5. Run the following script
    ewfmgr c: -enable
    6. Reboot the Client 

This is modified from a Symantec document for their DS program.

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH163996

• Proposed as answer by KNARZ Monday, September 30, 2013 9:29 PM
    Monday, September 30, 2013 7:59 PM
  • Dear Members,

I created a ghost image after sysprep (/generalize /audit).                                                                                      When I burned this image, windows (and EWF) worked fine.  

Thanks,

Zvika

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 5:59 AM
  • Your welcome!

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 2:41 PM
  • Oh, please don't use Ghost, really, you have the perfectly good imagex already. (I don't trust ghost at all, there are all these different versions and things too.)

This will fail for another reason. your new disk has a different serial number when it is formatted by diskpart.

1 - get the new serial

diskpart

sel disk 0

det disk

2 - open regedit, goto  HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Ewf\Parameters\Protected\

In there, there should be a "Volume0" and in that you need to look at the value for

"DiskSignature"

Set it to the same as the number you got from diskpart.

3 - save and reboot. The error will go away. (Unless of course, you managed to turn on EWF first ^^;)

=^x^=

• Proposed as answer by sr_vidya Wednesday, February 17, 2016 8:37 AM
    Thursday, October 3, 2013 3:29 AM
  • The version of Ghost I have run works fine. The problem with imagex or dism is that they capture partitions rather than whole disks. I think they solved the problem by syspreping the image.

Thursday, October 3, 2013 3:14 PM
  • The Problem is always Volumeid related (diskid)

Explaination:

Sysprep creates new bcd for the System. - Therefore it's recommended to use sysprep (and SID and so on..) but if you're lazy or don't have Domain Controller and so on or always use physical seperated (better not Internet connected) machines you would be totaly fine with non-syspreped Images. You only Need updated/new bcd.

Captured wim has 'old' bcd (if there is no seperated MSR Partition) you can update this 3 entries within winpe and your Image will boot:

bcdedit /store c:\boot\BCD /set {BOOTMGR} device boot
    bcdedit /store c:\boot\BCD /set {DEFAULT} device PARTITION=C:
    bcdedit /store c:\boot\BCD /set {DEFAULT} osdevice PARTITION=C:

(boot could also be Partition=c: or all entries could be boot - and /store is not needed as in winpe bcdedit automatically Redirects the commands into the other/System (found) bcd. But i always recommand to specify the bcd store you want to edit, like in this lines)

The definition of "C:" in this Parameter is 'translated' into volumeid/diskid. - So in the bcd is not "C:" it's some DiskID.

Instead of the 3 entries you can just create a whole new bcd with updated volumeid/diskids. --> It would be enough to run bcdboot /s C:\ (or whatever the current boot (c:\) Partition is.

EWF needs to be reconfigured as it also works with Volume/Diskids. So it needs additional command while running (online).

ewfcfg /install-configuration for win7
    rundll32 ewfdll.dll,ConfigureEwf for win xpe/wes2009.

Windows Embedded Developer and Scripting Guy //Germany (http://www.wesnext.com)

Monday, October 7, 2013 1:31 AM
  • Hello

I am facing a similar issue as discussed above; I have done all the steps mentioned above, but still (randomly) get the error "Failed getting protected volume configuration with error 1" .

I am using an SSD in this case with Win7E. My install script creates two partitions in the SSD, copies the image to each partition, make one of the active and the other hidden (to be used as backup for upgrade/rollback scenarios). I have a sys-prepped image, am applying bcdedit commands mentioned above (on both the partitions - they are named S & T instead of C, D - but windows automatically renames the active partition as C). I also run ewfcfg /install-configuration on the active partition as mentioned above.

I must say that the error occurs randomly - if i reinstall the image once this error occurs, the error goes away - without changing anything in the image or install scripts - just reinstall and the issue gets resolved. However, since this is occurring randomly, I would like to fix this. 

Any help to understand the above issue would be great. Does the SSD have something to do?

thanks!

Arun

Thursday, November 21, 2013 6:11 AM
  • The steps above worked for my issue.

I was provided a wim and was told to add it into SCCM. when executing ewfmgr C: I keep encountering Failed getting protected volume configuration with error 1.

Following the steps you provided I am now able to execute ewfmgr c:  and the system will now return a series of results and the current state of the EWF.

Thanks again.

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 8:52 PM
  • Thanks for that answer... worked perfect
    Wednesday, June 8, 2016 10:02 AM
  • I found some information that may help.

EMF is not configured correctly.

1. Distribute Disk Image
    2. Run the following script after distribution of image
    bcdedit /store c:\boot\BCD /set {BOOTMGR.EN_US} device boot
    bcdedit /store c:\boot\BCD /set {DEFAULT.EN_US} device PARTITION=C:
    bcdedit /store c:\boot\BCD /set {DEFAULT.EN_US} osdevice PARTITION=C:
    3. Run the following script ewfcfg /install-configuration

4. Reboot the Client

5. Run the following script
    ewfmgr c: -enable
    6. Reboot the Client 

This is modified from a Symantec document for their DS program.

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH163996

Dear All,

commands mentioned in upper text needs to be runned in administrator's account. But, as my machine boots automatically into user account, does anyone has an idea how to run an batch file with this commands with administrative rights? My admin account is also password protected.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Peter

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 11:46 AM