none
Help is not available

Question

• While in VB10 visual studio, I click on help. The button appears to click, there is a wait of a few seconds, and then nothing happens. Same for clicking Manage Help Settings. The only choice that works is MSDN Forum.   Is there something I am missing. This is new. For background, I have recently experienced an error message at random times that the application, I think VC++,  is trying to close conhost.exe in an unusual way.
    Monday, May 23, 2016 9:54 PM

Answers

• Try doing a repair of your Visual Studio installation.  If that does not correct the issue then you may have a corrupt operating environment and may need to repair windows and/or the .Net Framework itself.

I just ran the help provider tool in an old copy of VS2010 and it still works fine:

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 4:48 PM

All replies

• If you mean Visual Studio 2010 it is no longer supported by Microsoft I'm fairly certain.

However the help capability is not a Visual Basic .Net issue. What does VC++ have to do with anything?

You should post your question in one of the Visual Studio forums most likely.

La vida loca

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 2:21 PM
  • Try doing a repair of your Visual Studio installation.  If that does not correct the issue then you may have a corrupt operating environment and may need to repair windows and/or the .Net Framework itself.

I just ran the help provider tool in an old copy of VS2010 and it still works fine:

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 4:48 PM
  • Hi Rocket6986,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

From you description, as Reed Kimble said that the VS maybe crash.

Firstly, please repair your VS :

1.Go to Control Panel >Programs >Programs and Features

2.Select Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 and click on 'repair'.

you may try devenv /Safemode to see if you can apply it correctly. This can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins or packages are causing problems.

In addition, Reed mentioned that it maybe related to the .NET Framework, currently, we are not so sure if this is a cause, you could use .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool to check if the .NET Framework is ok. 

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx  

If you find there is anything wrong with .NET Framework, you may use Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool to do a repair:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 5:14 AM