none
How to get chunk based email buffer using MS ActiveSync Protocol with <TruncationSize> element ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a query on the element <TruncationSize> as mentioned in the document [MS-ASAIRS].pdf. I am using TruncationSize as 512 Bytes always to get the email buffer in the mime format. Now the question is  once I get the 512 Bytes of buffer, how can I get the next 512 Bytes of data ?
    For example, if the email buffer in mime format has total length 2 KB. If I have requested the first
    512 Bytes using <TruncationSize> element. How to get the next chunks ?

Thanks,

Biswaranjan

Friday, April 16, 2010 8:16 AM

Answers

• Biswaranjan,

This is not possible via ActiveSync. You cannot download a message chunk-by-chunk. It is a limitation of the protocol. I can forward this information for a possible future product enhancement. Please provide me with your use case scenario by e-mailing dochelp (at) winse.microsoft.com.

Thank you.

Dominic Michael Salemno
    Senior Support Escalation Engineer
    US-CSS DSC Protocols Team

Friday, April 23, 2010 3:02 PM

All replies

• HI, Biswaranjan,

Thanks for your question.  One of our team member will work on it and post the response when the investigation is done.

Hongwei Sun -MSFT
    Friday, April 16, 2010 2:50 PM
  • Greetings Biswaranjan,

I am the engineer who has taken ownership of your questions. I am investigating this and will update you as things progress.

Dominic Michael Salemno

Monday, April 19, 2010 3:32 PM
  • Greetings Biswaranjan,

When using <TruncationSize> you are only able to grab that length of data from the beginning of the message until <TruncationSize> is reached. The alternative is to download the entire message by omitting the <Truncated> and <TruncationSize> elements. You cannot continue to grab the message in variable size chunks until the end of the message is readched via <TruncationSize> . This is by design.

Dominic Michael Salemno

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 3:35 PM
  • Hi Michael,

Thanks for the response. If not using <TruncationSize>, then could you please suggest me any way of downloading the message by chunks till the end of the message is reached ? I would prefer to get the message as MIME (By setting <Type> as 4 in Bodypreference) chunk by chunk until the end of message is reached.

Thanks,

Biswaranjan

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 4:45 AM
  • Biswaranjan,

This is not possible via ActiveSync. You cannot download a message chunk-by-chunk. It is a limitation of the protocol. I can forward this information for a possible future product enhancement. Please provide me with your use case scenario by e-mailing dochelp (at) winse.microsoft.com.

Thank you.

Dominic Michael Salemno

Friday, April 23, 2010 3:02 PM
  • Hi Michael,

Thanks for your response to the query. I again went through the specification [MS-ASCMD].pdf and I am just wondering the use of <Range> element in <ItemOperations> for a request and whether its possible to achieve the requirement through this. Please correct me if I have misunderstood the behavior of this element.

As per my understanding,

By referring to 2.2.1.8.2.14 Range (Page 61), it seems that the ActiveSync client can specify the range of bytes that it wants to receive in response to the fetch request. If it is not possible to achieve the requirement using this, then could you please explain me the usage of this <Range> element ?

Regards,

Biswaranjan

Monday, April 26, 2010 2:12 PM
  • Biswaranjan,

The <Range> element in question is specifically for a *document library item*. You cannot receive an e-mail item chunk-by-chunk. I could forward your suggestion on to the product group for a possible future product enhancement. However, the feature you are looking for does not exist at this time.

Dominic Michael Salemno

Dominic Michael Salemno Senior Support Escalation Engineer US-CSS DSC Protocols Team
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:48 PM