.Net Target Framework Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I created a custom test type in Visual Studio 2010. It works very well in visual studio 2010. And one of the calss inherits the Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.EditorFactory. The VS package which implement the custome test type refer the assembly Microsoft.VisualStudio.ServiceModel.VisualStudioPackage, Microsoft.VisualStudio.ServiceModel, Version=10.0.0.0

Now I want to make the custom test type work for both Visual Studio 2010 and Visual Studio 2012. But when I deploy the package (whcih implements the custom test type) into Visual Studio 2012, I found the Visual Studio 2012 cannot load the package. The error message says: Method 'CreateEditor' in type 'XXXX.TestStepEditorFactory' from assembly 'MMM.NNN, Version=UUUU, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' does not have an implementation.

Then I tried to build the VS package again and change its targer framework to .Net Framework 4.5. And then it works fine in Visual Studio 2012.

But the problem is that we need to build two different versions for the VS package. One of them is target to .Net Frammework 4.0 (for VS2010). The other one is target to .Net Framework 4.5 (for VS 2012).

I just want to check you guys, is anyone know any better solutiosn for this? Or is it a known issue of MS that the custom test can work for on version of Visual Studio when it is build to one specific .Net Framework?

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 2:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Tomas,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 6:32 AM
  • OK. Thank you.
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 5:30 AM
  • Hi Tomas,

Please check the following MSDN article:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb164578.aspx

More detailed support regarding this issue falls into the paid support category which requires a more in-depth level of support. Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Thanks & Regards,

Jian-Wei Yu [MSFT]

Microsoft Online Community Support

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, February 11, 2013 3:44 AM
  • Thank you.

I am not looking for side-by-side installation of VS Packages. Just want to check whethere it is by design or it is a known issue.

I have a VS package and it inlcues a custom test type. My custom test type work well on the machine where the VS 2010 is installed.

But my custom test type failed to load on the machine where the VS 2012 is installed only. Then I modified my VS package to reference the assembly (Microsoft.VisualStudio.ServiceModel.VisualStudioPackage, Microsoft.VisualStudio.ServiceModel, Version=11.0.0.0) which is released with VS 2012. I also changed the target framework to .NET Framework 4.5 for my VS package. And then VS 2012 can load my custom test type successfully.

If an existing VS package for VS 2010 reference the assembly (Microsoft.VisualStudio.ServiceModel.VisualStudioPackage), if we want the existing VS package work for VS 2012 as well, then we must to reference the assemly (Microsoft.VisualStudio.ServiceModel.VisualStudioPackage) which is released with VS 2012.

This is by design, right?

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 7:11 AM