How many Resource Dictionaries are To Much???? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all;

I have been working on a project for the last couple of months and have started to notice that my resource dictionaries are getting a little large. I have two Dictionaries, a BrushResource and a StyleResource. I don't know if I should be breaking these Dictionaries down further.
    Ex. Making a Button Resource Dictionary

How many Resource Dictionaries are too many????

Thanks

Monday, July 28, 2008 6:02 PM

Answers

• My recommendation is to use external Resource Dictionaries in a judicious fashion - Blend could have performance issues if you have a large number of resource dictionaries linked into App.xaml. So I would def. recommend against each control in its own dictionary format.

FWIW - the Blend source code itself only have two or so resource dictionaries - one for the various colors and brushes in the dark and light themes, and another one for most of the control styles.

Thanks,
    Unni
    Monday, August 18, 2008 11:35 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Am also working on a live project for the last one month. In my project I have Separate Resource Dictionary for Buttons, combo box, Tabs etc and the corresponding BrushResource will also go to the same Dictionary ....... I don't know am following the correct method..... but I didn't faced any issues till now..

I think in your case it will be little confusing ........am not sure.......... I think Resource Dictionaries are exactly like folders.

If anybody have any suggestions  please help...................

Thanks
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 11:33 AM
  • My recommendation is to use external Resource Dictionaries in a judicious fashion - Blend could have performance issues if you have a large number of resource dictionaries linked into App.xaml. So I would def. recommend against each control in its own dictionary format.

FWIW - the Blend source code itself only have two or so resource dictionaries - one for the various colors and brushes in the dark and light themes, and another one for most of the control styles.

Thanks,
    Unni
    Monday, August 18, 2008 11:35 PM