Welcome To the Microsoft Reference Source Forums RRS feed

Answers

•  

Yep - we may need to push 1434 symbols to the servers to handle this.  We'll get it sorted, thanks for reporting it.  Might be early next week before we're able to do this.

Thanks,

Shawn

Thursday, January 17, 2008 5:15 PM
  • Hi guys,

Reference source is build specific. The initial scope of Reference source was RTM releases for a limited set of .NET sources ('RTM' includes OS service packs and redistributable releases).

The infrastructure wasn't in place to also collect reference source information for posting of servicing patches.
    This also means that the reference sources that may not be published are specific to a small fileset that was released in a later servicing update.We're having a look at the infrastructure for this to make some improvements to also push up generally available servicing updates. This is generally a small number of servicing updates but the distribution can be everybody depending on the distribution class for that update.

Unfortunately the way the build system works, this would be something fixed for servicing on a go forward basis. The required files have to be initially generated with the original build for that patch package to provide the necessary alignment.

As for Vista SP2 and Win7 RTM, those reference sources have been published. We're going to be doing another update here within the next few weeks to pick up some additional system.data sources that weren't ready on time for the initial publishing push.

As for VS10, that has a different reference source infrastructure which is a work in progress. We don't expect to have those sources posted up before the next pre-RTM release and will be evaluating the schedule as VS10 progresses.

Thanks!
    • Proposed as answer by ChrisD.Net Wednesday, September 23, 2009 5:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by ChrisD.Net Thursday, November 5, 2009 1:05 AM
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 12:58 AM

All replies

• Hi

I followed Shawn's blog and configured my VS 2008. (I am using vista ultimate and vs 2008 team deverloper edition).

Then i tried to debug web application and tried to load System.web.dll debug symbols. I didnt get anything and no information. Basically nothing happened.

Then i tried to debug the same kind of windows application as shawn described. When i try to load system.windows.forms.dll, it brings up the file open dialog box asking for pdb file. I checked all the points mentioned by Shawn in his FAQ section. Everything looks right except i have mscorlib.dll version as  2.0.50727.1434.

What could be the problem?

Thanks

Anand

Thursday, January 17, 2008 3:34 AM
  • Yes. I also installed Vista SP1

Thursday, January 17, 2008 3:50 AM
  •  

Version number needs to be 50727.1433, we're looking into why you're seeing 1434 on SP1.
    Thursday, January 17, 2008 4:32 PM
  • I confirmed that Vista SP1 does this.

I checked this in my friends PC. He doesnt have Vista SP1 installed and it showing

2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)

With Vista SP1, it shows: 2.0.50727.1434 (REDBITS.050727-1400)

Thursday, January 17, 2008 4:41 PM
  •  

Yep - we may need to push 1434 symbols to the servers to handle this.  We'll get it sorted, thanks for reporting it.  Might be early next week before we're able to do this.

Thanks,

Shawn

Thursday, January 17, 2008 5:15 PM
  •  

I am trying it now!

It is too cool ~~wow~!

A tip:

CTRL+ALT+U and right click the ******.dll,Load Symbols……

Well.I can download the ******.pdb at first.It will more quickly when I want to get the ***.cs files.

Some despair:

1.Can't get the symbols easy.....Like this:I must right click and click "Load Symbols".Then I go to the internet to download....(If I can't connect internet when I am only use my laptop in the special occasion at first time?......Sad       )[May be I don't know how to config it. I am going to trying .......]It take me a long time because I am in non-USA country...fortunately, I got it in a short time...But I am worry about when I back home with the 512K adsl cable...(How fast is it?10minutes?50minutes?Or longer?Sad )

2.I think I want to get a way to break the download.(The VS may be unresponsive during load symbols. If It takes me a long time .I need to break.....but I think I can only break the VS thread.Sad)

3.The Go to Definition button is disable in the source code. The VS can only highlight a part of class name like "ArrayList",but can't do it in "AspNetHostingPermission"...Sad

But I still very like it. Thanks Microsoft....

Monday, January 21, 2008 5:03 PM

• Hi ,

Could anyone help me in this ?

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2743971&SiteID=1&mode=1

Thanks in advance,

Karthik
    Friday, January 25, 2008 8:47 PM
  • I am Steve. working in MNC(on web applications). i am Microsoft certified professional.
    From past 3 year i am into this field. I have filtered out some interview questions that will surely helps you to grab your dream job and to sharp your .Net skills. Best of luck and work hard. . N reply in this post how was ur experience!!

http://placementhelper.blogspot.com/2007/09/net-interview-questions.html
    Sunday, February 10, 2008 6:38 AM
  • Hello, I have tried to make the source reference work. It does actually work for some (e.g. WindowsBase.dll) but not for the WPF assemblies. I have .NET 3.5 sp1. And yes I tried all the suggested trouble shooting on shawn's blog several times.

Some of the assemblies that are not working ...

mscorlib.dll  2.0.50727.3074 (QFE.050727-3000) 
    PresentationCore.dll  3.0.6920.1500 built by: QFE 
    PresentationFramework.Aero.dll 3.0.6920.1453 built by: NetFX

Do you guys have a clue, this is driving me crazy :)

Greetings,

Seba
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 2:41 PM
  • I am in the exact same situation as Sebastien, on Vista SP1 32 bit and Windows 7 64 bit partitions, both with .NET 3.5 SP1 installed, and have tried everything on Shawn's blog and everything else I could find on this forum and the internets in general!

Any clues at all would be extremely appreciated.
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 9:03 PM
  • exactly the same problem here: Vista Ultimate SP1 -> mscorlib.dll  2.0.50727.3074

Please help!
    • Proposed as answer by igalkin Tuesday, March 17, 2009 8:16 AM
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 12:51 PM
  • I had the same problem after installing .NET 3.5 SP1 from Microsoft Update. Apparently, the update also installs .NET 3.0 SP2, which brings the 3.0.6920.1500 files.

The following steps helped to roll back to the 3.0.6920.1427 version (for which the symbols exists):

Uninstall .NET 3.5
    Uninstall .NET 3.0

Install .NET 3.5 SP1 from the Microsoft download site:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=AB99342F-5D1A-413D-8319-81DA479AB0D7&displaylang=en

Hope this helps.
    • Proposed as answer by igalkin Tuesday, March 17, 2009 8:19 AM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 8:19 AM
  • If you have any questions - feel free to ask them here.
    Asking questions is nice, but there are no more answers... :-(

Nobody knows what symbols are on the microsoft servers. And nobody understands the downloads on the reference source website. And the ref source blog is abandoned. And neither Shawn nor Steve is answering recent questions. I guess the source code is not a supported project at Microsoft? Too bad, it would be nice to have source code for debugging today.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 1:08 PM
  • Hi guys,

Reference source is build specific. The initial scope of Reference source was RTM releases for a limited set of .NET sources ('RTM' includes OS service packs and redistributable releases).

The infrastructure wasn't in place to also collect reference source information for posting of servicing patches.
    This also means that the reference sources that may not be published are specific to a small fileset that was released in a later servicing update.We're having a look at the infrastructure for this to make some improvements to also push up generally available servicing updates. This is generally a small number of servicing updates but the distribution can be everybody depending on the distribution class for that update.

Unfortunately the way the build system works, this would be something fixed for servicing on a go forward basis. The required files have to be initially generated with the original build for that patch package to provide the necessary alignment.

As for Vista SP2 and Win7 RTM, those reference sources have been published. We're going to be doing another update here within the next few weeks to pick up some additional system.data sources that weren't ready on time for the initial publishing push.

As for VS10, that has a different reference source infrastructure which is a work in progress. We don't expect to have those sources posted up before the next pre-RTM release and will be evaluating the schedule as VS10 progresses.

Thanks!
    • Proposed as answer by ChrisD.Net Wednesday, September 23, 2009 5:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by ChrisD.Net Thursday, November 5, 2009 1:05 AM
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 12:58 AM
  • http://netmassdownloader.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/view/50493

Where is the source codes for the RTM downloads?

Thursday, April 15, 2010 12:49 AM
  • Hi Chris - well, VS2010 and .NET Framework 4.0 RTM is out and the source still isn't available. Could you provide an update on status, and if things haven't improved for VS2010/.NET 4, explain why things aren't improved several years later?
    Justin Grant
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 8:26 PM
  • Hey folks,

So what's new? .NET 4 has been posted to the reference source server, as was the Beta and RC versions earlier in the cycle. Beta and RC will be pulled off of the reference source server soon since RTM is available now.

We also moved several .NET 3.5 sp1 based offline packages around and renamed the packages to address some confusion in the names for previous .NET 3.5 sp1 redist/Vista SP2/Win7 extractions. This was specificly to fix the infamous "what the heck is 8.0?" question in general for all the packages...but we didn't pull the "8.0" one itself, off.

To answer the "8.0" question, that aligns with .NET 3.5 and is an artifact of a distributed process for posting. Distributed process meaning that there are several teams that contribute to .NET and that process allowed for a lot of freedom in what the poster of content chose to use for version label. That version, didn't have a standard that lined up to something as well understood as the file version, such as 50727.3053 [.NET 3.5 sp1].  As an older package that is likely not being used and was posted by a previous team, we didn't go after the .NET 3.5 or "8.0" for modification. But instead, focused on the later releases which are the majority .NET baseline being used and targeted [.NET Framework 3.5 sp1, Vista SP2, Windows 7/Win2k8 R2].

Anyway, the process of refreshing/moving the sources to address those confusion generators wasn't without some hiccups and some certain enlightentment that things were moved incorrectly. Unfortunately, that enlightenment was much after the fact due to a a series of bugs, misdirection, and an incorrect publication validation method. I'll post another update in a few days as the investigation continues for the .NET 3.5 sp1 [50727.3053] sources which are down temporarily. 50727.3053 is the version you would want for XP for instance.

Meanwhile, completely aside from that maintenance, it certainly didn't help that the reference source server was a victim of a network issue that is still being investigated for root cause. 

The build version specifics get more interesting in Vista+ as we shipped .NET with the OS release, and out of cycle from the OS. The reason the build version is important is that is a key way to reconcile the pdb to the sources that are extracted and traversing to the correct indexes of those sources. You can turn off the build version check, but it means that your location in the source may not be entirely accurate.

I'll respond again later this week with an update, but I wanted to respond to the immediate issue and acknowledge that the .NET 3.5 sp1 sources are down temporarily, while answering some of the "on fire" questions. The reference symbols for .NET 3.5 sp1 will download but the sources don't exist at the location referenced while source stepping. We're working on resolving the issue with the service for the .NET 3.5 sp1 sources. 

Thanks,

Chris

• Proposed as answer by ChrisDnet Monday, May 10, 2010 7:09 AM
    Monday, May 10, 2010 7:06 AM
  • So after doing some re-verification of some dates, the .NET 4 RTM reference source was up and available late on 5/6.

.NET 3.5 sp1 RTM --> aka 50727.3053 sources are also available again.

During maintenance efforts to improve the offline package naming, the pathing was "misaligned" for several of the online sources and the links for the offline packages. This took some time to resolve, but everything should be back in good shape for the releases.

Couple of important tips and reminders for those of you having troubles with source stepping:

• You need to go into Debug...options and settings.... and 'Enable source stepping' which will disable 'Just My Code'
    • For those of you on a 64 bit OS, and if you are having trouble getting to reference source, you will need to change the project type to 'Any CPU' or x86 to properly source step.
    • Keep in mind that source stepping is build version specific per binary. So if you have downloaded patches for a particular binary then that source may not be available. Currently we are only releasing major releases of .NET reference source for .NET 3.5 sp1 and later.

Thanks,

Chris

Thursday, May 20, 2010 10:21 PM