Configured Slave Device DVD/CDRW Failure to show up listed at all

Question

• Hi

I have found a unique (bug) problem. I have built up a system, that is setup, with a HDD as master system boot drive, that has Windows 8 Developer Preview + Tools. It's a x64Bit system, It does the same thing on both Win8 x32/64 Bit.   I have connected a DVD/CDRW, that has been configured as the main "SLAVE" device to the Master Boot System drive that has the OS on it. Now the problem is, although I have used the DVD Player to installed the OS from the CD. Once I'm done finish setting up Windows 8, then login into into Windows 8, my DVD/CDRW doesn't show up at all. Now I must inform you, so you know that both of them are connected to the motherboard one and only single IDE port. The motherboard does have four SATA connectors that isn't being used. I just want to use existing IDE HDD that I already have laying about the place from other pc computers over the years? 

Monday, September 19, 2011 4:29 PM

Answers

• Hey Fortra and Cyvros,

Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files. Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

Steven
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:16 AM

All replies

• Fortra,

Have you looked in Device Manager to see if your DVD/CDRW drive listed or having issues?   Here are the steps to open Device Manager.

1. Press both Windows key + Pause/Break keys at the same time.
    2. In System Properties, click on Device Manager on left side.
    3. Check to see if your DVD/CDRW drive in Other Devices or in DVD/CD-ROM Drives.
    4. If you do see it, double click on it and check on the Device status message.

Please reply with your Device status message.

Monday, September 19, 2011 9:47 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Forta,

I have not run across any problems with using DVD drives as a slave to a master HDD.  Let start with the basics first and make sure the pins are in the right settings if your hardware has them.  Depending on your hardware set up there may be pin options for master, slave, and cable select.  If your hardware has these pins, you might try to switch the settings.  If the DVD is on slave, you might try cable select or vice versa.  If that is not possible, or if that doesn’t resolve the issue, please post more information on your hardware.  What type of DVD, HDD, and motherboard you are working with would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Greg - Microsoft Support Engineer
    Monday, September 19, 2011 9:51 PM
  • Don't mean to butt in, but I'm actually having the same issue (HDD as master, optical as slave), and I've seen a couple of other people on tech forums have the same issue. In both those cases, and in mine, the optical drive isn't showing up in Device Manager at all. Scanning for new hardware or hardware changes doesn't work, I've rebooted a dozen times or so, and my drive (an LG BH10 Bluray rewriter) was working fine under Windows 7.

A funny thing is, I tried going into the Windows 8 installer (via USB; I didn't burn a disc) and going through the Repair options till I get to the command prompt. With the command prompt, I can view the contents of a CD inserted in my optical drive, but only when I'm in the installation disc Repair options.

Possibly related to this is the fact that, after installing W8, my Bluray drive is no longer available to boot from in my BIOS, yet it still shows up as being a slave device. I'll try resetting my BIOS and see if that works. I just wanted to point out that it's not just you.

Also possibly worth noting is that both my hard and optical drives are connected through SATA.

Monday, September 19, 2011 10:05 PM
  • Hi Eric & Greg

Thanks for your replies, to my post above. I will add more detail info later today, which may include picture attachment in order to clarify things a bit better!

@ I think Cyvros has a similar problem to mine.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:00 AM
  • Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:21 PM
  • Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:23 PM
  • Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:36 PM
  • The three picture attachments above "SHOULD" make it easier to understand in my initial post on this problem! :)
    • Edited by Fortra Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:47 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:47 PM
  • Fortra,

Try this Microsoft Knowledge Base article. It is documented for Windows 7 but I want to see if it fixes your issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:53 PM
    Answerer
  • Fortra,

Try this Microsoft Knowledge Base article. It is documented for Windows 7 but I want to see if it fixes your issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

I will do some more in depth investigation, to figure out what is causing this minor issue.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:45 PM
  • I don't know if this problem is restricted to Windows 8 Dev Prev x32Bit & x64Bit. But I think you should be made aware that there is a problem. That may affect either IDE & SATA device that might be set-up has a slave device.

• Edited by Fortra Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:54 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:51 PM
  • Fortra,

Microsoft is monitoring these forums for issues and concerns. This will be reported up so that the right people are made aware of your concern.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:07 PM
    Answerer
  • Fortra,

Microsoft is monitoring these forums for issues and concerns. This will be reported up so that the right people are made aware of your concern.

ok Eric .... thanks for the update & heads up. :)

Additional information in regarding the Microsoft knowledge base link you added above. I had a look at the registry and only found this below!

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:55 PM
  • Hi Forta,

I have not run across any problems with using DVD drives as a slave to a master HDD.  Let start with the basics first and make sure the pins are in the right settings if your hardware has them.  Depending on your hardware set up there may be pin options for master, slave, and cable select.  If your hardware has these pins, you might try to switch the settings.  If the DVD is on slave, you might try cable select or vice versa.  If that is not possible, or if that doesn’t resolve the issue, please post more information on your hardware.  What type of DVD, HDD, and motherboard you are working with would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Greg - Microsoft Support Engineer
    @ Greg... Motherboard is ASUS P5G41T-MLX,  LG DVD/CDRW burner x2,  250 ZIP drive, Floppy is a LS-120 superdisk drive. All devices are IDE interface since this modern motherboard doesn't have a standard floppy connector, due that old interface are being phased out nowadays by motherboard manufacturers.
    • Edited by Fortra Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:15 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:14 PM
  • I'm not sure if this is relevant, but four of the five cases I know of where this has happened (including our two, Fortra) have involved LG drives. Mine's an LG Bluray burner, yours an LG DVD/CD burner, and the other two were both LG DVD burners. One of those cases had a solution (which didn't work for me) outlined here.

Also, like Fortra, neither UpperFilters nor LowerFilters is present in the registry. The Microsoft Fix It troubleshooter also failed to run. At first, it wouldn't run because it didn't recognise W8, but even putting it in compatibility mode for W7 didn't work.

If you don't mind me adding my hardware details as well, my motherboard is a Gigabyte MA74GMT-S2, the optical drive is an LG BH10 Bluray burner, the hard drive is a Seagate 1TB (ST31000528AS), and everything's hooked in through SATA (there are no master/slave pins, as far as I know).
    • Edited by Cyvros Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:14 AM Adding hardware details
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:10 AM
  • Hey Fortra and Cyvros,

Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files. Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

Steven
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:16 AM
  • I actually got everything working. I did two things: removed the battery on my motherboard and put it back in, and also unplugged my optical drive's SATA cable from the mobo and moved it into another SATA socket. Would you still like me to provide feedback? I don't know if my situation is completely the same as Fortra's.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:45 AM
  • Hey Cyvros,

Any and all feedback is welcome using the information above. Also thank you for providing your solution, it may help other users that may experience this problem.

Steven
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:09 PM