kdfiles and VS2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Is there really no way to convince the integrated kernel debugger in VS2012 to use a specific driver mapping file every time it starts in a code/test/debug session other than setting an environment variable before starting VS2012?

Really?

Mark Roddy Windows Driver and OS consultant www.hollistech.com

Friday, November 9, 2012 3:32 PM

Answers

• properties of the driver project (not the package project), Configuration Properties | Driver Install | KDFiles

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, November 9, 2012 6:03 PM

All replies

• properties of the driver project (not the package project), Configuration Properties | Driver Install | KDFiles

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, November 9, 2012 6:03 PM
  • There is no link to this information in the documentation that can be found by searching for kdfiles. I'm sure it is obvious where it is when you know where it is, but trust me this would be the last place I would look.

Thanks.

Friday, November 9, 2012 7:03 PM
  • please use the send feedback link on msdn and we can get it clarified

Friday, November 9, 2012 7:15 PM
  • Ok so there is actually no searchable help for this property page.

What does "Debugger .kdfiles command destination:" mean? Is that a "-m old new" command? Can I just enter the name of a mapfile? 

Friday, November 9, 2012 7:25 PM
  • Hi Mark.  Did you get an answer to the question?  What magic does on put in "Debugger .kdfiles command destination:" ???
    Thursday, October 31, 2013 7:50 PM
  • my answer is "use windbg".  I stopped using the integrated debugger because its integration and the implicit assumptions behind that integration became a constant annoyance and interfered with the way I work. If windbg gets terminated I am in serious trouble. While it has quirks and oddities, it is a simple to use lightweight app dedicated to doing only what it does: debug target systems and programs. 

Thursday, October 31, 2013 8:57 PM
  • Agreed, though intellisense does have merit, especially when learning a new code base.
    Friday, November 1, 2013 1:52 PM
  • Oh I use VS all the  time and like it, just not for kernel debugging. For example I analyze three of four dumps in a typical morning, I can't imagine using VS to do that.  With windbg set as the default program for dumps (via a setup script of course) it takes a few seconds to have the dump and its symbols in front of my eyeballs. With VS the whole process is ridiculously slow. The debug engine is the same, so why bother?

Friday, November 1, 2013 3:08 PM